In the Market for a 34

Previous topic - Next topic

JKA

Hello everyone,
I am new to this site and seems to have endless information on the C34, I am soon to be retired in 19 months and have by researching as many boats as I possible can before I purchase. The C-34 is now on the top of my list. I will be using the boat to cruise the Shallow Florida coast and some trips to the Bahamas as well and maybe a trip to the Caribbean although I honestly think that may be a far reach but Bahamas for sure.
I am looking at an early 90's model for the reason of the open transom if my research is correct they came out with the open transom in 1990?  That being said I would love to hear your opinions on my choice of the C-34, There will be only two onboard most of the time with an occasional guest or two, I love the floor plan on the 34 with the head in the rear and the large private berth in the rear as well. I will for sure be looking for the shallow wing keel version do to the shallow  Florida waters.

Thanks James

Jim Hardesty

James,
Not sure what to tell you.  Just that a C34 was the right choice for me.  I think it's great for a couple with the rare guest.  Has worked for me.  Mostly I single hand now, C34 works good for that also. I've been retired for a while and single handing isn't too much yet.   When you have more specific questions post them here.  Not many problems that haven't been worked out by someone here.  Have you checked out the boats for sale area here?
Happy hunting,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

Your on the right track.  Make a list of the things you must have and must not have. Makes the search a lot easier as you can easily sort the boats to look at.  Water is more expensive than fuel in the Bahamas, so the water tankage might be a bit on the small side.  Plan on carrying some in jugs or installing a water maker.  Several active owners in Florida, if you have questions about sailing in your area ask.  We did the ICW all the way to Key West, had a great time!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

The transition/production dates for the open stern design are a bit fuzzy in the literature. My boat is a 1990 hull #1014 and it has a sugar scoop transom.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Lance Jones

James,
We own a Mk I. I would look at the Mk II, if money is not an issue, for 2 reasons.

1) You get the final, evolved sugar scoop.
2) It is beamier in the stern which makes for a roomier cockpit.

I am a medical product of being a paratrooper - knees, shoulder and back are shot. Both Kitty and I are avid snorkelers. So we are up and down the swim ladder all the time. Or, we are taking the dogs to shore in the dinghy. All of that is so much easier in the later versions of the Mk I's (I.25 & I.5) after they introduced the sugar scoop and later, the walk through transom.

Just my thoughts.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

JKA

Great information everyone thanks so mush for the reply's!!

JKA

can someone tell me on a 1990  - 1995 C-34 wing keel does the rudder go beyond the length of the keel?

Lance Jones

OMG, this discussion again? ;) Technically - no. However, based on loading and whether you're under power, the rudder MAY extend below the wing keel. We have a wing keel. Here in NW Florida, it is needed.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stephen Butler

Just sold our 1990, sugar scoop, fin keel C34, after 10+ years and would make the following comments: 1) Any sugar scoop stern has the advantages of a stiffer boat, more storage, and a more secure cockpit when off shore in a blow (Ron Hill made these observations years ago, and he is certainly right)   The scoop is also a great help in boarding a dingy, diving, etc.; 2) We have never quite understood the fascination with wing keel versus the fin keel, as we sailed for a decade in the "thin" Florida waters without difficulty.  The wing keel in theory does give a shallower draft, but in practice, with the boat healed over, we saw little difference, and did not have to contend with the difficulties of a wing keel if going aground.  And we certainly appreciated the windward ability of a fin keep to keep us off shore in a blow.;3)
The C34 layout is fantastic!  One of the best live-aboard, and at-sea layouts we had seen.  Hope this helps. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

pablosgirl

Hi James,

The c34 is a great boat.  We really like the layout.  We are at the end of a 6 month cruse from Texas to the Bahamas and back.  Our boat is an 88 tall rig with the fin keel and we were able to get to most places with the 5'7" draft.  There is 3 foot tide range in the Bahamas that you can use to your advantage as well. 

Water can be a problem or not.  We could go 7 days on the 70 gallons on the c34.  That was with 2 persons taking a shower a day and washing dishes.  We had 14 1 gallon jugs for drinking water. We met a person on a 34 boat that only held 50 gallons that lasted him 3 weeks!  It's all in how you manage your consumption .  He also collected rain water to fill his tanks. The most we paid for water in the Bahamas was 85 cents per gallon, but the typical price was 40 cents.  With the price of water makers in the $3500 range, you could buy a lot of water before reaching that price level.

I would defiantly invest in solar.  Well worth not having to run the engine or generator to charge the batteries.

I would search the site for Waterdog's trip from Canada to Mexico. 

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Steve_in_lex

James,

I agree with the earlier posts.  The two considerations I'd add in favor of Catalina are the forum -- it's incredibly useful -- and the fact that replacement parts are still readily available.  I sail in Maine, where Sabres are popular.  They're nice boats (except there's no walk-through transom), but the fact that Sabre had stopped making sailboats was a non-starter for me, especially when buying a boat that has some years on it.  Catalina is really interested in supporting their boats and owners over the years.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

JKA

Thanks very much for your thoughts and opinions they are very helpful for sure !!!!

Ron Hill

James : You are right on - the walk thru transom was first offered as an option in 1990 and the only year of the "sugar scoop" transom was 1990.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

I looked at the link in Stu's reply and saw the displacement for the fin keel listed in the "rave reviews" article as 12,600. Is the fin keel 12,600 or 11,950?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca