side gate

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

has anyone installed a side gate on their boat, the girl I sail with is very short, and when coming to a dock she can't step over the life line to secure the boat with the dock lines, she was requesting a gate about midship, anyone ever do this?
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

mark_53

Mine has pelican clips on the two lifelines that span the cockpit. Just unclip and easy access to cockpit.

KWKloeber

Bob,

YES on C30, because his wife was feeble, but concept is the same.  Isn't it crazy how unsafe manufacturers locate their gates?  Obviously they all sail off a ball and not from a slip!!!   

Actually PO moved the gate to midship (I wish he had left both and it's on my "Z List" to restore the cockpit gate.) He reversed the gate stanchion and added another gate stanchion forward (the gate width is about 2'?, guessing.)

But you could do it w/o out doing either -- leave the gate stanchion as is, modify lines to terminate in eyes on fwd side.  Install pelican hooks on the lines forward of the gate stanchion.  The remaining stanchion will be a little dicey when the gate is open, but if it's only for a crew member to reach the dock and not used to grab onto when boarding/disembarking, then it may be ok.  Otherwise might need to add the 2nd set of gate stanchions.

Difficult to see the reversed and added stanchions, but if you zoom in on the ladder that's where where my gates are.

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Paulus

Bob,
I have changed my gates to mid ship.  Also have a first mate with short legs.  Would be glad to take a pic and post it.  Will not be back to the boat until Tuesday of this week.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jon W

Hi Bob,
   I have boarding gates on both sides at the end of the cockpit. They both open and close with pelican clips on the lifeline. Works very well. Attached some photo's of my boat and one of my neighbors C36 who has the boarding gate further forward to midship.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Paulus

My mid ship gates are similar to Jon W.  A little further to mid ship.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Bob : I thought that if I ever wanted side boarding -  I'd get another "double legged" stanchion and replace it where the vented stanchion is. 
Then do some life line work and vent the holding tank out the side.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

My 1990 has one big gate as pictured, between gate stanchion and push pit.  Lifelines disconnected via pelican hooks and I double them back  and hook them to the lifelines forward when boarding/unboarding/at the dock.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Paulus

Bob, I did the very think that Ron Hill is suggesting.  Also, vented my holding tank and water tank out the side.  I think that you can find this discussion about 3 or 4 years back.  I will take a few pics tomorrow and post them.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jim Hardesty

Quotethe girl I sail with is very short, and when coming to a dock she can't step over the life line to secure the boat with the dock lines,

Bob,
I rarely need some one to step off the boat for dock lines.  I dock with a spring line and use a bit of power and rudder to hold the boat to the dock.  I single hand a lot.  Home dock is real easy with a spring line on a hook that I just grab.  Visiting a dock I can usually toss a line over a cleat or piling and spring to that.  I got the technic from a guy "Captain Klang", that I saw at a boat show, was a video online showing that.  I couldn't find it may be some one here know where it is.   I'm not saying a midship gate wouldn't be a good idea.  Especially if your girl friend wants it.  I'm just saying that it's possible to dock and get all the dock lines set before stepping off the boat.  Try searching this site for "spring line" and "single handing".  Or google "single handing + docking". 
FWIW.  My Lady Friend is a few inches shorter than me, I'm 5'6", and a few years younger, I'm 69.  Haven't had any problems docking yet.

Good luck with your docking and your girl friend.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

Here is the pic of my mid ship gate.  Use it for getting on and off the boat.  My mid ship gate has nothing to do with docking.  Just the  convenience  of getting on and off the boat at dock.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

I find that the midship springline docking technique (while can be elegant) greatly depends on the configuration (length and width) of the slip. In my case, where my slip is slightly shorter than my boat, arrowhead shaped at the bow, with a dock box on the angle corner, and only a fender width between me and my neighbor--it doesn't give me much time or "runway/wiggle room" to be looping/lassoing/and stopping--before crunching.
Standard Rig

Ken Juul

Noah the trick is to have the line preset and waiting for you at the dock.  As you approach, drop the looped spring line over your midship cleat and the  rest is easy.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Noah

Ken- i have started a new midship spring line thread.
Standard Rig

Mark Sutherland

Bob, I'd put pelican clips at the lifeline segment adjacent to the shrouds.  This will give her a nice handhold until she steps off. 
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170