Another new owner

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyt

Mas,
Agree you could have been bouncing in Omena. Assume by your signature you live in Frankfort so that is surely a better fit and will get you on the boat more often and make it more convenient to work on. Enjoy your new toy.
Grand Traverse Bay marinas can be very full in July and August, but once you are out of the marina it gets wide open very fast. Traverse City waters certainly more crowded than most, but on an average weekday you can be the only boat in the bay. Always amazes me.
Oh, Northport did finally go to half price on the 15th. As is normal,boats started pulling on Labor Day and now probably less than half full.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Mas Tequila

Tommyt,

Sounds like you know the area. I hang my hat in Interlochen but of course the home port is now Frankfort. Really do love Northport but getting there between Memorial Day and Labor Day can be a bit trying for us locals.

Moving the boat to Frankfort was a bit challenging. We ended up having to run the Manitou Passage in 20 knot winds gusting to 30 now and again, waves 8 to 10 with a 12 footer thrown in for good measure. The winds were directly out of the southwest and wouldn't give us so much as degree of course advantage. We tried to run south along Sleeping Bear to get behind Point Betsie hoping for a break from the wind. The shallow waters really only turned to chop so we headed back out on the big lake where the seas were higher but the frequency was much wider. The boat didn't so much as break a sweat and we had a great time. We learned quite a bit as well, how she liked to be reefed and that the new Raymarine auto pilot is a rock star. Oh that and maybe I should have installed the new portlight gaskets before we left...
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

tommyt

Bashing into those biggies to Frankfort should have shown any problems you may have. Congratulations on the journey and new home. Interlochen to Frankfort is not a quick trip, but Interlochen to Northport in the summer is a challenge. Those beautiful views we take for granted are being enjoyed by the fudgies....at 35 MPH!
I live in Cedar and NP is a easy trip most days. Love the options that it gives. If the wind is up stay in the bay. If not, go outside and you can almost always find some. Also a good starting point to Charlevoix, Beaver, Petoskey,etc. Have not made the trip to Frankfort but we keep talking about a run down with probably a stop in Leland.
Enjoy the rest of the season. September and early October can have some beautiful days.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance