blew up the aft tank

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

hull 99 1986.  i blew up my aft water tank.  it is a nauta 200 liter bladder.  are they hard to replace? I blew the hoses clear off it and put a huge hole in it.   (at least I don't have to clean it!)  I was thinking about getting a smaller one too, since I don't go on night trips, with my boat.  comments?  thanks
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

anaisdog

oh and does anyone have a brand they'd recommend or run screaming from?  thanks

Ken Juul

May lower the value if you ever decide to sell by putting in a smaller tank. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

anaisdog

true but as someone else said, 200 liters is 55 gallons and very heavy. 

Ekutney

I had the same bladder in my boat but also have a 27 gal starboard tank plus a 24 gal forward tank under the V berth.  I was thinking of a 30-35 gal new bladder by the same manufacturer, after all the original lasted almost 30 yrs.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

anaisdog

you have 3 tanks?  and it's a 1986 boat?  huh.  they didn't do ANYTHING the same on these boats.  i have the 27 gallon hard tank in the v berth and then the big bladder in my room (aft cabin).

anaisdog

is your starboard tank fore of the galley?

Ekutney

My starboard tank is just forward of the galley, under the salon seat.  I am thinking of replacing the bladder under the aft berth with a smaller 35 gal unit.  Still trying to decide what manufacturer to use, any others have a bladder?
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

DaveBMusik

By the time they got to #206 in '86, they just used the standard two hard tanks. Large aft and smaller under the starboard settee.  The must have been a reason. Any way of doing the same?
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Ekutney

I have a solid aft bulkhead in the aft berth, there is not a removable wooden panel & I looked in the lazerette to see all the wasted space.  My guess is the intent was to put weight aft.  I assume this because when it rains water collects in the forward part of the cockpit at the companionway.  I think it would be a major effort to make the modifications needed to put a hard tank behind that bulkhead.  It is not a real issue because I have a teak grating so it is out of sight.  I was thinking of putting a 35 gal bladder in place of the 50 gal bladder under the aft berth.  I was also thinking of a bladder in a fiberglass box in the lazerette but am concerned because of the weight, at 8lbs per gallon it is not lightweight.  Anyone else out there have the same issue??
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

Ron Hill

Anis : We are all assuming that you have a 1986 C34???   
Always post your production year and hull #, or you may not get the correct answer to your questions.

a thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron's right.  Why not add this important information to your signature:  Go to Profile in the upper tabs, left pane:  Modify Profile, Forum Profile and edit/add the information just about everyone else has done.  It will help us to help you.  Thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

done, thanks.  and we decided not to replace it, for now. 

Ekutney

Picture of the aft bulkhead in my 1986 C34 hull #42 is attached:

Has anyone installed a rear hard tank by removing this bulkhead or locating a tank in the lazerette?
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

anaisdog

just curious, why do a hard tank when you already have a bladder over your shaft?