Replacing Lewmar Port Lens

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Koehlmann

On Dolphina the six opening side ports have plexi lenses that are crazing a fair bit. I have looked a Catalina Direct and they're showing prices from $100 to over $150 per replacement lens, and that's in US dollars. I was hoping to remove the lenses and see if some local plastics shop would be able to replicate the shape and i would just reinstall the hinges and latches, however I can not for the life of me figure out how to remove the hardware. It looks like they may be glued on!!

Has anyone tried it with these already?

Much thanks, Fred.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Fred Koehlmann

Here is what the out side face looks like and there are no screws or anything.

kh3412

According to the lewnar site the new style ports which your's look like the hardware is glued on.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

Noah

The Lewmar  "New Standard" size #1 lens w/hardware attached/glued) is available from Defender for $86 US each.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Fred Koehlmann

kh3412, that is what I was afraid of. So no easy plexi switch would be possible.

Thanks Noah, but if it is what i see at "http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290158|2290164&id=1965073", then that is not the correct one. I believe that I am looking for the Lewmar Size 1RE Opening Port Light lens.

Noah

Sorry Fred for the wrong info. I live in a Mark I world and missed the "RE" designation.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Fred : I got my Lewmar replacement lens from Tony D'Andrea  SELECT PLASTICS of Norwalk CT.   

(877)874-3767 or tony@selectplastics.com  or   www.selectplastics.com

If you have them made locally make sure they measure the thickness as I believe Lewmar is metric!!   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Fred Koehlmann

Ron, was that the MkII windows? Our ports are round on both ends, and not rounded corners on a rectangular window (see images above). If yes, how did you remove the hardware and transfer them to the new lenses? Also did Tony make the additional shaping of the beveled edges and counter-sink where the latches and hinges fit in?

Thanks, Fred.

Ed Shankle

Select Plastics usually requires you send them the lenses to be replaced, and in season, takes a while to get get them to you. So I just got replacement lenses from Catalina Direct, for @ $36 each. Just the lenses, not including hardware, though I did get replacement o-rings. Of course that was for my Mk1, I didn't investigate for the Mk2.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA