Sheet (line) recommendations for MKI

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben H.

Hi All,

I'm getting closer to finally getting my "new" C34 into the water. I don't think I have many sheets from all the stuff the PO gave me. I do have the attached manufacturer's specs for them. Do you all have any comments/recommendations on what physical ropes to buy?  Color coding that has worked well for you?

Any and all help appreciated!
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Ron Hill

Ben : The lengths in the owners manual and size are OK, except for the genoa sheet line size.

Most of us have increased the genoa sheet lines to a 1/2" Dacron braid on braid - so it lays better in the self-tailors of the #46 Lewmar winches.  The 7/16" is strong enough, but I sometimes found it falling out of the self tailors - not the 1/2" line!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron's right, upped it to 1/2" for jib sheets.  Always buy a couple of extra feet, you can always shorten them.  I use Stay Set from NER.  7/16" for the mainsheet, same stuff.  Sampson also has a nice feel to it, but I forget the particular designation for theirs that is similar to the Stay Set.  Never buy Stay Set X for anything; search on the forum to find out why.

The jib sheet sizes are for the Mark I-series boats with the older, non-adjusting upper & lower jaws.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ben H.

Thanks guys. What about color coding the lines? Do you have any schemes you'd recommend?
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Lance Jones

Ben,
I have grouped my line coding to specific sails. All the Main lines are either solid or red tic, Jib Blue or blue tic and Spin is Black or black ticked.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Noah

Something to consider. My main halyard is white w/black tick and presented a problem when attempting to mark the spot to lower it for reefing (using a black Sharpie). Can't see  it. Need to go to plan "R" (red Sharpie?) :?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Ben : it has been my experience that "New England" (West Marine) cordage does not hold the color very well.
Sampson colored and color tracer line hold their color well!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ekutney

I used red tic for all jib lines, halyard & sheet and green tic for main halyard & sheet then black for self furling.  Black tic for boom vang & back haul.  Went with Sampson because I like the feel of the line.  I replaced all running rigging it made a world of difference. 
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

rmbrown

Ben:

That running rigging dimension sheet is just what the doctor ordered?  Can you tell me where you found it (so maybe I can find one in my own documentation)?  My boat is a 93 model build in December of 92, so a 1.5, and I'd love to verify that it also applies to me.

Mike
Just Limin'
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Dave Spencer

Hi Mike,
Manuals are here.
http://c34.org/wikiwp/?rdp_we_resource=http%3A%2F%2Fc34.org%2Fwiki%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DManuals#C34_Manuals
But there isn't a link for the Mk1.5 Manual. Line lengths will be the same (or at least close enough).
I have a .pdf of the Mk1.5 manual but I haven't figured out how to post it to the wiki. I'm sure someone can point me in the right direction.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

rmbrown

I'd been to the manuals but not found that page.  Looking again, though, it was obvious, so I'm glad you made me look!

Love the boat name.

If that manual isn't too big to email, I'd love a copy at rmbrown @ code-refinery dot com.

And if you are really feeling mercy today, you can tell me how to set up a nice signature block like you have at the bottom of your message with boat info, etc.  I looked around but couldn't figure that one out either.

Mike
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Dave Spencer

Mike,
I'm on my mobile now.  I'll send you the file a little later today.

For your signature, click on "Profile" from the menu bar about 1/4 of the way down the page.  Then click on "forum profile" on the left side where you can enter your signature.  It helps us help you if your signature includes things like hull number (aka sail number), year, Mk1, 1.5, or II, tall or std rig, fin, wing or shoal keel.  Home port is also useful.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

rmbrown

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Clay Greene

If you are looking to buy Sta-Set, Riggingandhardware.com has the best price per foot I have found. Annapolis Performance Sailing is running a 15 percent off sale right now so the price per foot is the same and they have free shipping if the order is over $50. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

rmbrown

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC