Adler Barbour Replacement Electronic Modules

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

In preparing for our sail north, we arrived at the boat to find the fridge no longer worked.  Gee, after 30 years (18 of ours), you'd think it'd keep working.

I spent the weekend troubleshooting, per Kollmann's advice (see the 101 Topics, and the Fridge Follies posts on this forum).  Traced it down to the electronic module.

I wrote to Kollmann on Friday, no reply yet (Monday).  Can't blame him, it was a weekend.

Did all the diagnostics.

I just spent the morning going thru Fisheries Supply in Seattle, who had me call Dometic in Florida who told me their module was $815 !!! but that folks have been telling them they found them on the internet for $200 !!!, I finally found RParts in, of all places, Santa Cruz, just down the coast from us here.  Actually talked to a wonderful lady named Donna who confirmed the part would work with their technician, ordered the new 4 pin module.  $265 including s/h and tax.  Supposed to get here Wednesday, since I explained to Donna just what the issue was, so she's gonna get it to us by FedEx.

http://www.rparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=84_13_1_2&products_id=556&osCsid=cq9epffmmvd27noi7jh0gkkqr4

Thanks also to John Nixon for his help.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

pablosgirl

Hi Stu,
I bought a new 4 pin module from  Mr kollmann in January of this year for $150 + $15 S&H, $165 total. He does not take credit cards, but will take a personal check.  I had to mail the check first and recieved the new module within a week.  He can be swamped with email and he replies to all it can just take time.  I have found that the control modules are what break.
Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Stu Jackson

Paul,

Thanks, that's exactly my "read."

One hates to sail on a "schedule" but in our case "time is of the essence" because of our trip from San Francisco to Cowichan Bay, British Columbia.   We need to leave soon to "make" the "weather window" to avoid the potential fall low pressure weather systems.

I recognize that Richard has limited resources, having run a "one-man-band" consulting engineering business myself for 25 years.

emailed him on Friday, it's now Monday (laate) and I understand the concept of "your emergency is not mine" or something like that.

This is NOT Richard's timing issue.

It is SOLELY MINE.

He's great.

If I was going on a local -- even extended two or three week -- cruise, timing would never be an issue.  I can, and have been, living with ice and draining the box.   Not fun.

I'd like to avoid having to do that for THIS one trip.   :D

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Noah

Wow, Stu--great trip! I'm jealous! Wishing you smooth sailing on your "upstairs climb"...the rest of it will be excellent, no doubt!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Noah.  Hi to Jeremy.  We'll "keep you posted," much like Steve (waterdog) Dolling, but I don't plan on a blog.  Yet?!?  My "keep me posted" list keeps growing, but I feel that our potential experiences are things we have to look forward to, as compared to postings on this forum about our mutual interest in sharing, for example, the technical material.

Gee, just like any cruise:  Subject is subject to change.   :D :D :D :D :D

Stu Jackson

The new module arrived a day early !!! on Tuesday.  Installed it Wednesday.  Back in business!  Making ice is so much more fun than lugging it.   :D :D :D

Stu Jackson

In the interests of full disclosure, I posted this on co.com and received some valuable feedback from someone who had actually bought exactly what we did.

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/adler-barbour-replacement-electronic-modules.180653/

Still have not heard back from Kollmann.  Fridge is still working.  :D

Update August 18, 2017 - A YEAR Later.  Still working just fine.  Seems the concern on sbo was just a bad day for that skipper.

Stu Jackson

Old & new.  Realized I'd never posted photos.