overheating and bilge full of antifreeze..

Previous topic - Next topic

RonE

A few weeks ago I had an overheating problem, first time in 3 yrs owning the boat.  I eventually bypassed my waterheater, and solved my overheating problem, so I thought. Did about 5 nice 3 to 4 hour day sails since, and temp Guage never went over 160. That is until yesterday, she spiked as we were coming into the dock. Which we fell short of because we killed the engine.
After a cool down, we realized the radiator was empty with all of its contents in the bildge. I had used a 3/8 fuel hose as the bipass of the waterheater, until I got a delivery of a 3/8 radiator hose. Which was tough to find. Anyway going down this morning to check that hose I installed the last time out..

RonE

I am leaking antifreeze at the base of the elbow on the heat exchanger

Stu Jackson

Sorry to hear about your loss (pi!).

How old are the hoses?  Have you removed the hose and replaced it on the barb?  Is it fully seated?  Are you sure that's THE leak? 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RonE

It's leaking by the base. Here's a photo

Noah

Ron: I Got your PM and here is my order info from Go2Marine for my SeaKamp HX
SKU   Description: 115507   Universal -Medalist Replacement Heat Exchanger, 3" Dia x 13-1/4" Long w/Straps; M4-30 CuNi, 302631CN  $396.01
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

We got ours there, too.

Heat Exchangers 101:  Sources for replacement  Good Guys at Sendure

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6920.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

Looks like you should be able to clean and braze it.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Ron : Any radiator shop should be able to fix that and confirm the fix with a pressure check!!

You might want to contact SemDure and get 2 new end caps and gaskets!! You'll have a like new HX !!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

If you know an Air Conditioning guy they can fix it too.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

KWKloeber

Ron,

If you are considering repairing the Hx, consider the age, and the possibility that the internal tubes are at the point of a possible pinhole between the seawater and coolant sides.  Then it's a throwaway.  Mine became a throwaway (totally freshwater use) at 17 years old.

What engine is it on?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

RonE

Thanks for responses..
I ordered a new HX from go2marine..
I wanted to replace all 4 hoses coming off the HX, are they particular or can I get those hoses from any marine repair outlet.
Thanks
RonE

Ron Hill

Ron : On most of the hoses you can use nylon reinforced hose except the hoses into the inlet of a pump or if the hose needs to make a acute turn.  This is so the hose will not collapse!!

You definitely what the hose from the HX to the engine internal coolant pump to be wire reinforced.  The others can be nylon reinforced heater hoses - I prefer the Gates brand.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788