Stern dinghy cleats for MKll

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Has anyone with a MKll added stern cleats for tying a dinghy off the stern?  I've been tying to the swim ladder it works but could be better.  Don't want anything that would get in the way of my winter cover.  Don't want a toe stubber.  And a place that I could get to the back side of the cleat, that may be asking too much.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Mick Laver

Jim,
I added a 6" Herreshoff on the stbd side, and have found it incredibly useful. I found a local shop to make a backing plate, and bedded it with butyl tape. The installation was easy.  We too were tying to the swim ladder, which turns out not to be the greatest solution for several reasons. We've also found that it acts as a great handhold. Since that location already had the mast for our dinghy motor lift we didn't really lose any space, but even if the mast wasn't there I think you could still have a place to sit. No toe stubbing so far.

I actually got two cleats and backing plates, but haven't installed the one on the port side yet. That might encourage visitors.  :D

- Mick
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Roc

Bought this from Garhauer and mounted it on the rail next to the ladder.  It does not get in the way of anything.  I had them cut the horns down a bit because I didn't need them that long. 

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=57

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD