Alternator to house bank + starter battery: combiner or echo charger?

Previous topic - Next topic

csimmerling

Hi all,
I have 2 batteries now and am thinking of merging them to a house bank and adding a starting battery of a different type.
The PO left behind a battery combiner for charging but didn't install it.
Would it be reasonable to use the combiner to charge from the alternator to the house and starting batteries, or if they differ in type and charge needed would there be an advantage to using an echo charger? Are there other considerations?
Using a combiner is obviously preferred since it would be free.
thanks!
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

Stu Jackson

From the Electrical Systems 101 topic:

What are ACRs, Combiners & Echo Chargers?  (by Maine Sail)
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=742417

Use the combiner.  I've had one in since 1998, works great.  Functionally, as far as charging the reserve bank, they all do the same thing.  You cold also use the 1-2-B switch manually (when charging sources are present).  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mark_53

Quote from: csimmerling on July 18, 2016, 08:26:34 AM
Hi all,
I have 2 batteries now and am thinking of merging them to a house bank and adding a starting battery of a different type.
The PO left behind a battery combiner for charging but didn't install it.
Would it be reasonable to use the combiner to charge from the alternator to the house and starting batteries

No the combiner goes between house and starting battery. Alternator output goes directly to house bank fused appropriately.

csimmerling

thanks that makes sense. mostly I was just wanting to avoid overcharging the start battery when the house needs charging.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

mark_53

Quote from: csimmerling on July 18, 2016, 01:35:55 PM
thanks that makes sense. mostly I was just wanting to avoid overcharging the start battery when the house needs charging.
The combiner will prevent the start battery from going below a certain voltage before it is isolated from the house. When charging, the combiner still will charge the start battery. Whether or not the start battery will overcharge is the function of the charger.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mark_53 on July 18, 2016, 03:11:23 PM
Whether or not the start battery will overcharge is the function of the charger.

No, nope, nada, zilch.

I recommend that we all take some time, make some time, dedicate some more time, to please re-read the "Electrical Systems 101" topic.  I know there's a lot there, but I put it all there for a good reason.  And even if you don't read all the links, at least please read the "headings" so maybe when something comes up again you'll say: "Hey, I remember seeing something about that!"

Here's one right up your alley.   :D :clap :thumb: :D

Overcharging with Combiners or ACRs The MYTH:
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7052.0.html

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."