Engine Electrical Connection Issues

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Progress report.
Had a buddy help me on the boat today - just a 2nd pair of hands.

Disconnected & Removed the Alternator
Disconnected & Removed the Starter & Solenoid (Starter is in great shape, Fly wheel too!
Confirmed Starter +ve is definitely a spade fitting - glad I'm getting the new solenoid.

Disconnected the Panel from the terminal block and started to extract all wires except the Blower +ve.

Disconnected the Engine from the terminal block

Brought the Control Panel, Alternator and Starter/solenoid home for clean up.

Side project: I removed the Edson 'pod' that housed the defunct Wind Instrument & Water Speed Instrument (I installed the new Garmin (Airmar) hull transducer a week ago and it replaced the dead transducer that is in the Bow)

Ken has shipped the materials that I'll be using (almost everything).

as I said, it was a good day

Side pro
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

britinusa

Thought you might appreciate this.

I was looking for replacement lamps for the control panel instruments and found these LED lamps online at Amazon

Link to Amazon

They arrived today and I had no problem installing them into the panel instruments, checked them out with a 12v DC power supply attached to the panel, work great on the Voltmeter, Temp, and Fuel guages, next thing it to try them out on the Tach.

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

Making progress with the new Engine Control Panel harness.

Inspired by Nick Caballero's article in the Mainsheet, I put together this wiring diagram.

Couple of notes: The old panel wiring had several terminals that had multiple terminations on a single post, I don't like that method.
So I'm putting a +ve Buss bar on the back of the panel so that no post will have more than 2 wires connected.

I'm also installing a panel lighting switch. (the new panel lights are all LED)

Here's the link to my diagram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzhALZsJd3D4UUppeEpkVXhHQTA/view?usp=sharing

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

Moving forwards, just a quick update.
Esprit Du Vent (Bob Schuldenfrei) has a couple of features on his Control Panel and Panel housing that I liked, so I have incorporated them in our Panel & Housing.

Here's the housing mod:
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

And a close up showing the Stop Handle Mounting Wedge that was not part of the original Panel housing.

I've put a more detailed explanation on my blog at http://www.sailingeximius.com

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

Paul

See attached

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

That makes sense Ken.

somehow I think CY may have tried a number of solutions to the same issue.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ron Hill

Paul : If you look in the old Mainsheet tech notes you'll find an article where I replaced all of the engine instrument 194 lights with LED's . 
They are Red LEDs so as not to spoil your night vision.   

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Paul : There are other Mainsheet articles showing a full Lexan cover to protect the engine instruments and switches.
The switches all have rubber boots for additional WX protection
I cut holes on the full pane for the key switch, starter and blower access. There is a slot for the engine stop handle.  I also made a Sunbrella cover to protect (UV) the panel while the boat is "parked" (attaches with snaps).

A lot of information in those old tech notes.  :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

I would but my login does not work for the tech notes.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Noah

BTW- the enclosure and stop handle position changes with the year of boat. My 1990 is on the left side of the panel (when facing the panel) in front of the tach.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on August 02, 2016, 04:02:24 PM
BTW- the enclosure and stop handle position changes with the year of boat. Mine 1990 is on the left side facing the panel in the middle over the tach.

yep and mine is through the flat panel itself!  :shock:

It may depend on the day of the week and the Catalina "technician" involved.  :lol:

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Ron, I purchased the Black & Red push button covers from CD a while ago with a switch in anticipation of needing a spare  :santa

I was able to get into the tech notes, my PC remembered the username and password for the index, but not the actual links.

all ok now.

Thanks Stu!

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

There's a lot to be said to doing business with Association members. I've been working with Ken (KK) on the needs for the Engine Harness Upgrade. Some of the items were delayed, but Ken jumped through a few hoops to expedite them.

Looks like I may get the propulsion system put back together next week! (and while I'm at it, replacing the Engine Mounts)

Stay tuned.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

Didn't realize this but Vetus is almost Local!

FLORIDA BOW THRUSTERS dba Vetus Marine
MERRITT ISLAND, FL 32952
US

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water