Garhauer dinghy engine hoist

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

Has anyone modified their Garhauer hoist for one person operation while standing in the dinghy.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Sure.  I just took the line out of the cam cleat on the top and ran it over the sheave only.  I use the cleat on the stern of the boat to tie it off, or just hold onto it by hand.  This is a way old Garhauer lift, before they made changes to make it better for singlehanders.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Caio : I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article with a picture, showing how I moved the cam cleat from the top and moved it down the shaft. 
I put a piece of Lexan on the corner where the cam cleat was so the line wouldn't chaff.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

I put a small plastic cleat on the lower block.  Attached it with sizing wire, but I think one or two hose clamps may work.  Moved the line from the cam cleat and feed it down to the lower block (the one with the lifting hook).  With it that way I can have a hand on the motor and a hand pulling on the lifting line.  At any time I can just cleat it off.  Think I have pictures some where on the site but couldn't find them.  I'll send some soon.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

Here are the promised pictures.  The wire sizing was done with a little tool that I got at a boat show. 
http://clamptitetools.net/
but I think a hose clamp or two would work.   The cleat  is cheep plastic thing.  It works real well for me, when I had my wife helping she had problems with the cam cleat. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

another pic
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

it will only let me do 1
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

lazybone

I must have an older version because mine does not have the sheave that allows the line to exit downward.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI must have an older version because mine does not have the sheave that allows the line to exit downward

You could try taking the line and where it feeds to the cam cleat and lead it directly down.  Or skip the last pulley, it would reduce the advantage.  Might still be enough.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on July 18, 2016, 03:41:43 PM
QuoteI must have an older version because mine does not have the sheave that allows the line to exit downward

You could try taking the line and where it feeds to the cam cleat and lead it directly down.  Or skip the last pulley, it would reduce the advantage.  Might still be enough.
Jim

That's the answer, mine's old, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on July 18, 2016, 03:41:43 PM

Jim

Ahh :thumb:
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677