Ratcheting Crimper - 8 to 1 AWG

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on July 14, 2016, 06:12:58 AM
Ken,
    from your reply #4 "-- I use a long handle FTZ rotating die crimper for the cables I do." What model number are you talking about?

Oh yes, the FTZ NON-full cycle, which is essentially a Greenlee.

k

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

PS Jon:  a full-cycle can be converted by just removing the ratchet

Are you thinking of an FTZ?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jon W

I ordered the Greenlee k05-1spgl for 8awg - 1awg.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

mainesail

Quote from: KWKloeber on July 14, 2016, 06:33:49 AM

Oh yes, the FTZ NON-full cycle, which is essentially a Greenlee.

k

Ken,

The FTZ & Greenlee are not the same and really not even in the same arena... The Greenlee K-05 or K-09 are rotating hex dies that are rather sloppy and rather thin in cross section. The Greenlee is closest to a Quick Cable hex head crimp tool. The Chinese versions of both are horrible..

The FTZ is a diamond or box crimp and is a direct compliment to the industry Rolls Royce/Gold Standard the AMP 600850 Rota-Crimp. 
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

KWKloeber

Quote from: mainesail on July 14, 2016, 02:52:17 PM

The FTZ & Greenlee are not the same and really not even in the same arena... T

Rod, I thought at one point years ago I had a Greenlee ( "Germany" ) next to the FTZ and they were essentially identical, down to the same lug/die size labels (poor that rub off).  Maybe it was a dream (or nightmare  :shock: )  Who manufacturers the FTZ-branded crimper?

Ken

Jon W

For 8GA to 1/0 I found a used Bantam Rota Crimp, but looked like it had lived a long hard life so went with the K05 Greenlee which seemed to be an acceptable choice a few replies ago.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

mainesail

Quote from: KWKloeber on July 14, 2016, 03:24:24 PM
Who manufacturers the FTZ-branded crimper?

Ken

FTZ designed it and manufacturers it. They also sell it to a few other companies who re-brand it. Years ago it was built in the USA, my bench mount version was USA made, but I think they have a new company making them under contract now to remain competitive.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

mainesail

Quote from: Jon W on July 14, 2016, 03:47:35 PM
For 8GA to 1/0 I found a used Bantam Rota Crimp, but looked like it had lived a long hard life so went with the K05 Greenlee which seemed to be an acceptable choice a few replies ago.

The K05 is still a good tool, far superior to the red, blue & yellow handled Chinese knock off versions. It's just not in the same class as a ROTA CRIMP. Unless you do this for a living there's no need for a ROTA CRIMP level tool.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T