Ratcheting Crimper - 8 to 1 AWG

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

Was looking on line and saw a ratcheting Greenlee K-111 and a ratcheting  Burndy Y1MRTC crimper for $234 and $212 respectively. This size crimper would cover the rest of the cable sizes I have on the boat. Do these make a good crimp for occasional use on 8-1 AWG boat cable with tinned lugs? Thanks for the help.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Footloose

I know that this isn't a professional quality tool, but for the occasional user I have found Hazard Fraught tool to work for me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html

May save some boating bucks.  Would be interested if others have used this.  The second review says he used it to rewire his boat.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

KWKloeber

Quote from: Footloose on July 13, 2016, 09:01:46 AM

Except that the HF die sizes are FUBAR -- they are not AWG lug sizes -- the SNAFU is that the listed sizes represent the actual WIRE cross-sectional size, not the lug size.   :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have gone back and forth with HF corporate folks by phone and email for 6 months -- until they finally admitted I was correct, and vowed to correct it with the (offshore) supplier.  I'm not holding my breath on that one.   :sick
The idiots (oops, mean technical support) kept replying to "Go to an auto audio shop/installer and buy correct awg terminals."   :!: :!: :!: 

if one can blow through enough lugs and crimps to come up with a corresponding correction chart for dies/lugs it may be useful, but then there's no QA on whether the crimp actually meets any standard (the tool over- or under-crimps the given lug/wire combo.)  Generally I have seen the die size has to be 2 steps larger the lug you are crimping, but again, there's no QA on what you end up with.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Any comments on the two I mentioned?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on July 13, 2016, 08:09:21 AM
Was looking on line and saw a ratcheting Greenlee K-111 and a ratcheting  Burndy Y1MRTC crimper for $234 and $212 respectively. This size crimper would cover the rest of the cable sizes I have on the boat. Do these make a good crimp for occasional use on 8-1 AWG boat cable with tinned lugs? Thanks for the help.

Jon

I haven't used that particular Greenlee model, but the FTZ brand ones that I use are actually identical Greenlee crimpers and good quality - FTZ also has that (K-111) one.  However it may be tough doing #1 awg lugs with a plier crimper -- I use a long handle FTZ rotating die crimper for the cables I do.  I may have mentioned when we talked that I use a plier-frame hex-die crimper for 8 awg lugs, and it's a bear to close - granted it doesn't have as much mechanical advantage as the K-11 appears to have. but still.....

I think a medium length handle is best for occasional (DIY) 8 - 1 awg lugs (not so bulky as the large FTZ but still enough power for 1 awg lugs.)

I have a used Greenlee K05-01SPGL lug crimper I might be talked into parting with.
Or I can get you the FTZ brandname of the K-111 -- but with shipping it may net out only a few boat bucks below what you found online.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jon W

Found the K05 1GL for $192 on Zorro.com. I couldn't find K05-01SPGL when I did a Google search. Do you know if they are the same?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

karista

Quote from: Footloose on July 13, 2016, 09:01:46 AM
I know that this isn't a professional quality tool, but for the occasional user I have found Hazard Fraught tool to work for me.

May save some boating bucks.  Would be interested if others have used this.  The second review says he used it to rewire his boat.

I have used this tool on all my existing battery cables. It worked well and due to its short length I was able to add new terminals to all existing cables w/o having to pull them out. Great tool for the price. Haven't had any problems with any of the terminal I added. :clap
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on July 13, 2016, 01:49:01 PM
Found the K05 1GL for $192 on Zorro.com. I couldn't find K05-01SPGL when I did a Google search. Do you know if they are the same?

Paul,

It's online several places:

https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-K05-1SPGL-Crimping-Cycle-Mechanism/dp/B001HWIIUY

The difference is that the SPGL is full cycle/ratchet.

manual:
https://www.gexpro.com/medias/sys_master/gexpro/gexproimages/8969003663390.pdf

The K Greenlee K series does 8 to 1/0 awg.
I also have a spare used (once) knock off crimper,  non-ratchet that does 8 to 1 awg.  Works fine, just don't need it and it's desperately looking for a home. 

kk

Jon W

I learned a ratcheting type crimper is the better choice for me. Are you talking about the FTZ 94285?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Jon- i can't imagine you have anything left to crimp!? :shock: 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on July 13, 2016, 07:45:59 PM
I learned a ratcheting type crimper is the better choice for me. Are you talking about the FTZ 94285?

Jon, I not sure what you are asking.  Is what the FTZ 94285 ?  I guess the answer is "no" -- that's my 6 awg to 250 MCM long-handled crimper (Greenlee) and we haven't been talking about crimping any that large.

Full cycle or not, is in the eye of the beholder.  Try crimping a 1/0 windlass or thruster cable while hanging upside down in a vee berth and find that you want to shift the lug 1/4" to center it -- you would rue the day you bought a full-cycle.  I know -- take that to the bank.  Now for a small hand crimper (#8 to #22) yes, defo want full cycle.

k

mainesail

Quote from: KWKloeber on July 14, 2016, 01:08:51 AM

Full cycle or not, is in the eye of the beholder.  Try crimping a 1/0 windlass or thruster cable while hanging upside down in a vee berth and find that you want to shift the lug 1/4" to center it -- you would rue the day you bought a full-cycle.  I know -- take that to the bank.  Now for a small hand crimper (#8 to #22) yes, defo want full cycle.

k

Absolutely, for larger frame crimp tools! If you work in a shop all day the ratchet version of the FTZ might be okay but out in the real world, working on boats, the last thing you want is the ratchet version of a lug crimper. I also round all the corners of the diamond crimp/box crimp which requires crimp, rotate, crimp and the ratchet version really stinks for this.

The best tool in this class is the AMP Rota Crimp Bantam 601075. Occasionally you can find them used. It is the smaller version of the AMP Rota Crimp 600850 of which the FTZ is an excellent knock-off.

Please be very, very, very careful with the Chinese knock-off versions of the larger gauge Greenlee K05 or K09 series tools. They are horribly executed knocks offs that make horrible crimps..

FWIW I used to own one of the Greenlee K-111 hand tools in the OP.. Unless you are Hulk Hogan forget about it for larger stuff.

For 6GA to 4/0 best value is the FTZ
For 8GA to 1/0 try and find a used Bantam Rota Crimp or even a K05 Greenlee The K111 works on the smaller end but not very well on the larger end.

I also own a Molex version of this tool: 8GA to 2GA Long Handle Crimp Tool

But it does not go to 1GA.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Jon W

Ken,
    from your reply #4 "-- I use a long handle FTZ rotating die crimper for the cables I do." What model number are you talking about?

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Jon W

Hi Noah,
    When I add the electric windlass.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

mainesail

Quote from: Jon W on July 14, 2016, 06:12:58 AM
Ken,
    from your reply #4 "-- I use a long handle FTZ rotating die crimper for the cables I do." What model number are you talking about?

FTZ 94284 - Non-Ratchet Version
FTZ 94285 - Ratchet Version
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/