Reefing Setup

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailing48N

The previous owner did not use the main sail often and thus did not have any reefing lines setup. The boom has all the default hardware needed for the factory reefing setup shown in the manual. However, there aren't any cleats or other hardware on the mast as shown in the manual. Installing a few cleats on the mast seems easy enough but I'll be running the lines aft to the cockpit so I may bypass those anyway.

I've have most of it figured out from all the posts and write-ups I've been reading over the last few weeks. I haven't been able to pin down the initial run of the reefing tack line through the sail cringle and how others have routed the line down the to the base of the mast. All of my searches have come up empty with specific examples or pictures showing that part but I think I've pieced it together and am looking for confirmation and/or advise.

Here's what I have envisioned, please correct me if and where I've may got it wrong or if there's a better way.

Reefing clew line:
- Starts on the starboard side of the boom with a bowline attached to the reefing block.
- Then runs under the boom and up the port side of the sail through the reefing clew cringle.
- Then back down the starboard side of the sail back to the same reefing block.
- Then it will run forward to a newly installed cheek block at the forward end of the boom (bypassing the factory installed cleats on the boom).
- Then run down to the base of the mast to a block where it will lead through the deck organizer back to a rope clutch at the cockpit.

Reefing tack line:
- There is a pad eye just under the goose neck on the mast where I think it would start with a simple bowline.
- Then up to the reefing tack cringle along the starboard side of the sail.
- Then down the port side of the sail through a newly installed pad eye or fairlead on the mast (about where the factory cleats were supposed to be).
- From there down to a block at the base of the mast to the deck organizer back to a rope clutch at the cockpit.

Do I have that about right? Is there anything I'm missing?
Russell & Lindsay
1986 Hull #154 - Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Tacoma, WA

KWKloeber

Do you have a cunningham now ?  It can double as a luff reef.   or, if installing a luff reef, make sure it can double as your cunningham.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Sailing48N

We do not have a cunningham now and our current mainsail has no cringle built in for one. The mainsail only has one reef point and it's up there a ways.
Russell & Lindsay
1986 Hull #154 - Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Tacoma, WA

Analgesic

Mine is set up exactly as you describe but I start with a stopper knot rather than bowline which is much less likely to chafe over time.  I bring both lines to a Garhauer double block on port side to the deck organizer and back to line clutches near the port cabin top winch.  What I like is the ability to grab both lines together and while crew is easing the main halyard slowly, I pull both the exact same distance and they come down together the same amount.  Once the tack is snug, I pull a little more with clue or can winch it a few inches to ensure the foot is tight.  Right back up with the halyard and good to go, often set in < 1 minute in high winds.  Love it and use it frequently. 
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: KWKloeber on July 12, 2016, 11:05:37 AM
Do you have a cunningham now ?  It can double as a luff reef.   or, if installing a luff reef, make sure it can double as your cunningham.

kk

I have rigged a Cunningham on the first slider above the boom.  The luff reef point is too high in my humble opinion.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422