Engine Mechanic in South Florida

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

We're anticipating needing an engine rebuild here in Broward County Florida.

Anyone got a referral for a shop that does Universal M25-XP engines down in this area????

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

'Rebuild' perhaps not the best choice of words.

I'm working up to do a service on the engine- replace the motor mounts, realign the engine/shaft, check the compresssion, and a general clean up of the engine (makes it easier to identify future issues)

My reason for asking is in anticipation that I may need to get some work done on the engine by a real mechanic.

I'm pretty handy and can work my way through most things on the boat, but I have never taken a Diesel engine down for cylinder deglazing, valve polishing, gasket replacement, bearing replacement and I don't even know what other stuff I should do.

So perhaps not a rebuild, but not sure of the term to use that describes that kind of engine service.
:?

paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on July 07, 2016, 05:25:09 AM
'Rebuild' perhaps not the best choice of words.

I'm working up to do a service on the engine- replace the motor mounts, realign the engine/shaft, check the compresssion, and a general clean up of the engine (makes it easier to identify future issues)

My reason for asking is in anticipation that I may need to get some work done on the engine by a real mechanic.

So perhaps not a rebuild, but not sure of the term to use that describes that kind of engine service.
:?

Paul, you may want to get in touch with Fleet 14 Captain Bob Schuldenfrei.  He has plenty of members and most likely contacts in the S FL area.

If you're handy (and you gotten this far keeping her afloat!  :D :clap) then the service, short of the compression test, is up your alley, and even that should be relatively easy.  Of course, doing it yourself means it gets done right, even if it takes a couple of tries, and there is lots of help from the skippers here, in answering questions and pointing you to sources.

Taking the engine down is an altogether different thing, and you're wise to start hunting for references.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RobertSchuldenfrei

Quote from: Stu Jackson on July 07, 2016, 12:02:31 PM

Paul, you may want to get in touch with Fleet 14 Captain Bob Schuldenfrei.  He has plenty of members and most likely contacts in the S FL area.

If you're handy (and you gotten this far keeping her afloat!  :D :clap) then the service, short of the compression test, is up your alley, and even that should be relatively easy.  Of course, doing it yourself means it gets done right, even if it takes a couple of tries, and there is lots of help from the skippers here, in answering questions and pointing you to sources.

Taking the engine down is an altogether different thing, and you're wise to start hunting for references.

Good luck.

Hi Stu,

Paul is a member of Fleet 14 and a good friend too.  He was on board Esprit du Vent when we pulled our engine.  I have already given him the name of Danny Escobar.  Anyone in SE Florida would do well to contact Danny for anything marine.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422