Boom Lift Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

Hi.  Normally when I or a member of my crew need to go up the mast, i use the spare jib halyard.  As a former rock-climber, I don't really like a single point of failure in a system where lives are at stake.  My question - if I were to briefly disconnect the boom-lift (as a backup line for the person going up) would the boom be okay?  would the vang be able to support the weight of the boom for a short period of time?

thanks in advance.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Lance Jones

What about using the main halyard too? That's what I do. So the one going up has a jib and main halyard attached.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Geoffreykwright

Only problem is I have a self-furling main - using the main halyard would mean dropping the main first...
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Jim Hardesty

Two concerns I see.  The topping lift is a bit on the small side. May be just for me.  And, if you use a spare jib halyard and the topping lift you need to stop at the spreaders and remove and reattach the topping lift.   My vang will hold up my boom...barely.  I go to the spreaders then use a short line with an eye, run around the mast, through the eye, then attach with your favorite knot to the d-rings on the bosuns chair.  Idea is loose it will slide on the mast, a tug will tighten the lope and hold.
Enjoy the trip up.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Geoffreykwright

Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Ron Hill

Goe : If you have a ridged vang - it should hold the boom in place. 
If you have a MK I C34? your topping lift is strong enough because it's 7/19 stainless cable to about 2ft above the mast.  Not too sure how you'd take up slack in that cable as the person goes up?

I had a spinnaker halyard which we always used as a safety line. 

How many halyards do you have /and what model C34 ??   That's why we always ask for your production year and hull #   

A few thoughts   
Ron, Apache #788

patrice

Hi,

My topping lift is fixed at the mast top.
The line goes from boom end to a pulley at the end of the topping lift back to the boom end....

It would not work to secure someone going up the mast.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Geoffreykwright

Sorry - my model/year/hull used to show in my signature on my posts...

I have a 2000 34 MK II Hull #1494.  My topping lift is 7/16" low stretch line running through a block on top of the mast with a cleat on the side of the mast - it COULD work I'd think in a pinch.  I have a solid (spring loaded) vang.  I have only one spare halyard when my self furling jib and main are up.  I had planned on running another halyard since I have an unused course on the mast for a spinnaker halyard.  In hind-sight, what I think I will do is drop my jib and use both jib halyards (genoa 1 and 2) to go up and feed a spare spinnaker halyard down the mast - then I will always have 2 spares to go aloft in the future.  then no need to test if my vang will hold the boom.

Thanks for all of your advice.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

britinusa

I'm grateful that our boat came to us with Jib Halyard (furler), Main Halyard, Spinnaker Halyard and a Spare!
So when I go up the mast (really no big deal anymore) I secure two lines at the mast base and use the spare that I attach to my bosuns Seat (it's webbing) and runs back to the cabin top winch where my safety mans the winch.

I use a 3 Prusik knots on lines attached to the seat harness. 2 of them are for climbing the fixed haylard, the 3rd is a safety (just in case my safety crew fell overboard).

If you don't have a spare halyard available, consider adding one when you go up the mast.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP