V-berth extension cushion now stays put

Previous topic - Next topic

Breakin Away

We haven't used the V-berth extension cushion because it was not secure. It seemed to drift aft, and I was afraid that it might fall off the wood furring strips that are meant to hold it up. I went below and found that the little round knobs were not providing a firm barrier to movement. So I picked up some larger square knobs off of Amazon.com and mounted them in the same holes as the originals. The fit was perfect, and much more secure. Now the cushion really stays in place:

For those who are curious, the additional wood frame under the furring strip in the second picture is a return duct for the reverse cycle system, which is mounted under the V-berth.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Stu Jackson

Very creative solution.  Most of us worked at the front (aft) end.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

I have a piece of tape with a snap on it.  Insert in place, snap the tapes, never moves.  Will try to take pictures next time on the boat.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

mregan

I used a strip of velcro on the bottom & the top piece of wood.  Never moves.

Breakin Away

Quote from: mregan on July 06, 2016, 09:00:41 AM
I used a strip of velcro on the bottom & the top piece of wood.  Never moves.
Sounds like a good idea that could also be used to put the extension down in the lower "seat" position.

I had assumed that the little 3/4" knobs that were originally on the cushion were OEM supplied. Now I am not so sure. What did Catalina do originally to keep the extension cushion in place?

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Breakin Away on July 06, 2016, 10:19:21 AMWhat did Catalina do originally to keep the extension cushion in place?

Nothing, which is why all of us came up with these great ideas!   :clap :clap :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Break : This was a topic way back in the early 1990s.   

Most of us then decided to use a simple Cabin Door Hook 7 Eye to secure that insert inplace.   :thumb:

a thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Or a slide/barrel bolt screwed to the bottom of the cushion with holes drilled in the rail (in both upper and lower positions) to receive the slide bolt.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig