Refrigeration Replacement on 1989

Previous topic - Next topic

Sundance

I'm replacing the refrigeration on my 1989, the current compressor is located in the starboard lazarette, behind the rear water tank. I plan to replace it with the Adler Barber CU-100 compressor and VD-150 evaporator.  It says it comes with 15' of tubing.  Has anyone replaced their unit and can attest to the fact that the 15' really works or will I need to get the extension kit?  I have heard conflicting stories that the 15' of tubing is really not 15', but was hoping to get some first hand experience.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Stu Jackson

Jeff, in this case I would never depend on someone elses' boat and their measurements.  Take a piece of string and measure it on YOUR boat.

You could also do a search here on "extension kit" --- I remember it being discussed before.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sselinger

Jeff, I can't answer your question, but I am thinking of making a similar change on my 1990 C34. I would appreciate it if you would post your experiences after you make the change.

Thanks
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Sundance

Stu - If the kit is 15' then I am ok, the issue is there was a post that claimed the 15' was really 11.5-12' ish.  Looking for additional input from those that have done it.  Since the extension kit is not offered from a normal online boat store, I need to purchase it from a no name, rather unresponsive guy the manufacturer sent me to.  I can only imagine if I needed to return it.  Idealy I'd install assuming the tube was 15' long and then if needed order the extension kit.  FYI the cost of the extension kit is $185.   
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Stu Jackson

Jeff, as you know, that's a completely different question.  If you have that link, then I suggest sending a pm to that skipper.  He may not check this forum everyday, but a pm sends him an email.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roland Gendreau

I replaced my AB system with a Seafrost system 10 years ago; I don't recall what length tubing came with the standard Seafrost BD package, but I needed something longer for my MK1.5   For a modest cost increase, they provided a custom, longer length of tubing with the system.   I checked their website and they don't specify the length that comes with the standard BD system, and I no longer have the record of what length they provided as a custom.
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Sundance

UPDATE: I installed the refrigeration this past weekend.  I talked with another C34 owner with a slightly newer model, a 1994, whose set up that was nearly identical to mine and he said he did his refrigeration about 5 years ago and did not need any extension.  So between his first hand experiance and the fact that www.nauticalair.com has terrible customer service which procluded me from ordering the extension, I decided to dive in and hope for the best.  Once I received the evaporator in the mail, I measured the tubing.  It was 14'-4".  The old tubing measured 14"-2".  I knew it was going to be close.  On top of that, the old compressor and the new compressor have the tubing connection points in a different location.  All said and done, it fit.  For anyone attempting this in the future here are a couple pointers.

-In order to work on the old/new compressor, loosen the propane locker and move it to the side to allow both shoulders and hands into the aft lazarette.  Seems like a pain, but worth it.

-In a perfect world at first glance I figured I'd remove the rear water tank and have direct access to the compressor.  No such luck.  The boat was built around the tank, there is no chance of removal.  Time wasted:1hr.

-When pulling the old tubing, attach a line so you can pull the new ones into place. 

-Old/new evaporator have the same bolt pattern, but save the old bolts and standoffs because the new ones that it comes with are slightly smaller.

-New compressor is slightly smaller, new holes will need to be drilled for mounting.  Save old bolts since the new compressor does not come with any.

Overall this is a very straightforward project, it took me about 8 hrs from start to finish, if I did it again, it would take about 5 hrs.  Like all boat projects, you will be excessively sore, and possibly bruised from leaning into the aft lazarette.  Have a cold beer on hand, you'll need it.  Spent three nights on board this past weekend.  Everything worked well and it it is unbelievable how much more efficient this system is. 
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

scgunner

Jeff,

Thanks for your informative post. I'm getting ready to replace the reefer on Top Gun (#0273, 1986) as well. I guess I must live in a perfect world because I removed the rear water tank(to fix a leak)and it came out rather easily, it just slid out after I disconnected the hoses and engine control cables. With the rear cabin bulkhead and water tank removed access to the compressor unit is fairly good. It also provides good access to cockpit drain lines if they need replacement(mine are badly split). Also, thanks for posting the measurement on length of the lines between the two units, this was my biggest concern, it sounds like I'll be OK.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

scgunner

For All Hands,

I just received my evaporator in the mail, this may or may not end the line length controversy, when I laid out the unit and stretched out the lines they measured out at 15'1' as advertised by the manufacturer. I know some guys on the board have posted receiving units with lines measuring 11' to 12', not sure what's up with that. The straight line distance in my MK 1(#0273, 1986)between the evaporator and compressor is 11' 4" so even with bends and turns I should be able to install the unit without the need of the extension.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

scgunner

Jeff,

The reason I'm doing this is so I will have a cold beer on hand.

karista

Quote from: scgunner on September 30, 2017, 07:40:36 AM
   For All Hands,

I just received my evaporator in the mail, this may or may not end the line length controversy, when I laid out the unit and stretched out the lines they measured out at 15'1' as advertised by the manufacturer. I know some guys on the board have posted receiving units with lines measuring 11' to 12', not sure what's up with that. The straight line distance in my MK 1(#0273, 1986)between the evaporator and compressor is 11' 4" so even with bends and turns I should be able to install the unit without the need of the extension.

When I replaced my original Adler Barbour unit about 3 years ago, I elected to locate it on the shelf next to the propane tank (Shelf will need a support bar glassed in on the inside of the hull). This is useless space anyway when the propane box is mounted so it was perfect for the Adler Barbour, it makes it very easy to service and for sure a easier installation and is well vented. This location however requires the extension. My new unit only had about 12' of use-able line, not enough for the new location.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

mark_53

Quote from: karista on September 30, 2017, 08:35:58 AM
Quote from: scgunner on September 30, 2017, 07:40:36 AM
   For All Hands,

When I replaced my original Adler Barbour unit about 3 years ago, I elected to locate it on the shelf next to the propane tank (Shelf will need a support bar glassed in on the inside of the hull). This is useless space anyway when the propane box is mounted so it was perfect for the Adler Barbour, it makes it very easy to service and for sure a easier installation and is well vented. This location however requires the extension. My new unit only had about 12' of use-able line, not enough for the new location.

Nice work.  Looks like the propane tank sticks out above the the box.  Is there a cover for it?

scgunner

Bernd,

Nice shelfwork, clean install too. It's puzzling that some guys get 15' lines and some 11' or 12' lines. I don't use propane I stuck with the original CNG for simplicity and safety, that space in the aft lazeret is where I installed my tankless water heater.

karista

Nice work.  Looks like the propane tank sticks out above the the box.  Is there a cover for it?
[/quote]

Yes, there is a cover that seals the box and also retains the tank! It has 2 closing latches. It is a Seaward OEM Box, with modified cover to accept the new taller Tank Valve.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL