Best way to plug hole in railing tube?

Previous topic - Next topic

csimmerling

I removed my old LORAN antenna and now have a hole where the cable exited the top of the railing. What's the best pay to permanently patch or plug this to keep water from getting inside? Duct taped for now...
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

Ekutney

Not sure of a permanent method other than a weld.  Even for temporary fix I would use rigging tape with some sealant, better than duct tape.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

dfloeter

How about a large pop rivet and tap down the edges?
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

britinusa

When I cut the rail between the port and stbd sides of the aft rail, I used a two part epoxy roll and smoothed the finish, it came out really  well.

If it's just a screw hole, then perhaps a new screw with a fillet of Butyl tape would do the job.

Curious of your choice as our boat has several holes in the rails that were left over from PO removed stuff.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: csimmerling on June 24, 2016, 02:14:19 AM
What's the best pay to permanently patch or plug this to keep water from getting inside?

Keeping water out isn't hard to do -- a hundred choices -- looking not so bad is more difficult.

A Weld repair will look the best and if done correctly and polished will be unnoticed.

W/ a s/s flush plug?  (a cut-off bolt or stainless rod.  grind/filed off to match the OD - power polished until bright.

To make a pocket for the plug - fill the tube to create a dam (I usually use spray foam insulation where I can't get behind a panel, etc.)
Rout out an oversize hole below the OD of the rail (large enough to inject epoxy to form a strong backing/substrate to hold the stainless plug in place.) 
Fill w/ resin, none or only a little microfibers.
Drill out a 'pocket' for the plug.  Drill the hole for an "interference fit" (not "clearance fit") for your plug material -- i.e. you must tap the plug into place (so it's slightly snug w/ no gap around it.)
Epoxy the plug in place - finish the surface.

Or, work epoxy stick into the hole to form the backing, drill out the pocket.

Or make a tighter interference fit (no epoxy) --  drive the plug down until it bottoms in the tube -- cut off -- finish the surface.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Any of those ways will work and/or cover it with your lifesling or rail mounted cup holder! :D
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on June 24, 2016, 01:51:37 PM
or rail mounted cup holder! :D

I've always felt those holders tended to either spill or foam the beer, much too much.   :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Noah

Another good reason to switch to scotch!  :clap Stu- time to vote for Beerexit!
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on June 24, 2016, 06:49:37 PM
Another good reason to switch to scotch!  :clap Stu- time to vote for Beerexit!

A very wise analysis and good counsel.  Thanks.  Single malt?   :clap :clap :clap

Noah

Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Not knowing how large the hole is, or if it's in the way of anything else.  Here's my thought for a semi permanent fix.  Go to an auto parts store and get some chrome tape.  A single wrap with the seam on the bottom will probably last the season.  A 3 foot roll will last 10 years.  Plenty of time for even me to decide on a more permanent fix.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

csimmerling

Thanks all.
The hole is about 1/4", a bit oval and on the top of the railing.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

Ron Hill

csim : You could also consider putting another GPS or VHF antenna in that place? 
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Go to Lowes to the hardware section. They have many drawers with various plastic items for all sorts of things.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD