Jib Sheets

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBMusik

Water Music made the 4 day voyage to her new home from Kittery Maine to Noank CT last week. A beautiful trip and the boat behaved well. One item that gave us problems was the blocks for the jib. The line kept getting jammed in the Garhauer blocks.
I suspect the sheets are oversized causing the blocks to bend over and jam.  I believe the original specs called for 7/16 line. What does everyone use?

Thanks, Dave
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Craig Illman

yes, 7/16". New England StaSet tends to hockle easily at the turning blocks. On my 34, I switched to 1/2" 12x12 New England Megabraid even though it was heavier line. I'm not a racer. I haven't had the same issue on the turning blocks on my C30.

Others probably have better options for you.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Dave, it might well depend on the blocks that you have.  If they are the old standard stand-up blocks, they well may do that.  I got the newer larger low profile Garhauer blocks: forward car LLC-2 1 1/4 track, and aft car 40-40 UAB.  I use 1/2" Stay Set sheets.  Your OEM Lewmar winches should be able to handle the 1/2" line, whereas the newer boats with newer Lewmars have difficulty with that size line.

I have those two blocks per side plus a big cheek turning block aft.  This keeps the sheets off the lower edge of the dodger material and provides a good fairlead to the winches.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Dave,
If you change jib lead blocks, you might want to consider getting the Garhauer movable blocks.  EZ-Glide adjustable blocks.  Looks like they are on sale right now, 10% off.

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=37

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

DaveBMusik

Just measured the sheets and they are 3/4". I guess I thought I was buying a bigger boat 😀
I have 2 stand up blocks on either side with a cheek block to port. I am guessing these are the original blocks.
Do you think 1/2 inch will work? or do I need to go with 7 1/6?

Thanks!
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

Quote from: DaveBMusik on June 23, 2016, 01:00:12 PM

Do you think 1/2 inch will work? or do I need to go with 7 1/6?

Thanks!

Dave, in reply #2 I said:

Your OEM Lewmar winches should be able to handle the 1/2" line, whereas the newer boats with newer Lewmars have difficulty with that size line.

Yes, they work on my boat, should on yours.

Your boat, your choice.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Dave : Most all of us with MK1 ST winches have upgraded from the 7/16" factory recommended to 1/2" jib sheets.  The 1/2" do better in the older Self Tailing winches. 

The MKII winches have a spring loaded self tailing tops .   :D

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

DaveBMusik

I had checked the Lewmar specs and they are fine. I am more concerned about the jamming blocks. If mine are original and others have gone with 1/2" I hope my problem is solved.
Thanks!
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT