Introduction: Looking at C34MkII this afternoon

Previous topic - Next topic

SPembleton

I will second the congrats on the boat and also the value of this site.  People are very knowledgeable and patient with questions from inexperienced people like me.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Roc

Off the top of my head, I can think of two items on the MkII that Westerbeke put out bulletins on.  One is the missing collar on the raw water pump engine mount.  If you remove the pump from the engine and look inside the engine fitting, you should see a collar around the shaft that turns the pump.  The spindle that has a groove on the end that fits into the raw water pump should have a collar around it.  You need to look inside because the collar is way inside.  The other bulletin was that the fuel bracket could develop a crack.  Mine did, and Westerbeke sent a new bracket.  If the collar is missing, they will send one of those too.  Other than those two, I can't think of anything else related to the MkII's.  The other things like wiring harness, etc. are not related.  Those are for the earlier MkI model C34's.  If the boat surveys well, she is a good solidly built boat that will give you years of enjoyment.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

bayates

Congrats on the boat. We have had a MKII #1517 since 2012 and love it. Lots of upgrades from Bimini, new dodger to solar and folding prop. A great boat to sail and cruise with. This site is awesome to get advice and good directions.

Brian
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

Breakin Away

Hi everyone,

We closed on the boat on Friday and moved her from Deale to Rock Hall, MD on Saturday. Things have been a little hectic since then, but I will become a regular contributor here once things settle down. I'll have many questions (I'll try to always search past messages first before asking), and maybe some suggestions for inexpensive modifications.

The boat I got is a real beauty with many systems replaced. It did come at a premium price, but I hope that total cost of ownership will be reduced with all the replacements that have already been done.

Only thing that has failed so far is the autopilot, but it was a dry-rotted drive belt that is easily replaced for $20 (on order). If that's all that goes wrong this season I will be very very happy.

If you know anyone who wants to downsize, or is just getting started with their first boat, I have a pristine C250 Wing Keel model for sale.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Steve McGill

Congratulations, I had seen her in the lot at HHN a number of times, glad to see she has a new home.

Enjoy,

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Roc

What's the original name on the boat when you bought her?  Are you naming her Breakin' Away? 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

britinusa

Congrats Rick,
I hope you get at least as much fun, use, and pleasure out of your C34 as we do.

We moved up from our C250 Swing keel last year, spent a few boat bucks on her but she is really starting to show that we care.

See you on the water.

Paul & Peggy Alcock
(britinusa)

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Breakin Away

Hi Paul, nice to see you over here. Your presence in the C25 forum has been missed. I had remembered that you moved up to a C34, so I'm not surprised to see you here.

The boat's current name is Bonus, which I don't like at all. She is USCG documented, and since we borrowed money the lender requires what we renew the documentation. We are changing her name to Breakin' Away.  For the rest of this season she is at Rock Hall Landing Marina, which we chose for quicker access to the Chesapeake vs. the marinas in Swan Creek.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)