Fresh water manifolds

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekutney

I have been replacing ALL of the hoses and am in the process of re plumbing the fresh water system.  I found it easier just to redo the entire system.  I removed the sink for access which then lead to replacing the water pump, water heater, water filter...  It seems every time I dig deeper I get more involved.  It seems owning my boat has turned into my NEW hobby but I enjoy every task and this site has been an invaluable resource.

The following are pics of the fresh water manifolds I have built, they include water supply selection, cold water and hot water.  I will edit the pictures when time permits to explain the madness behind the over engineering rather than just using Ts to split the water to where I want it to go.

I will take more pics once I have everything installed but the reason for the post is to get opinions from others that have done this type of project.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

KWKloeber

ed

One point that you probably already know but I've found that some do not -- if you replace the check valve on the cold supply to the water heater, it must be a high-pressure CV like the brass RV/Marine Jabsco CV. 

Some people have used a one-piece (new style) ShurFlo water line CV, and it can fail (blow up)

-- unlike the old style ShurFlo (with the square case that was bolted together) that was ok on the WH supply.   

Or a SharkBite check valve works nicely (Home Depot etc special order.)

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mainesail

I pretty much use PEX and SeaTech (Watts) quick connects for everything these days. The manifold below took less than 3 minutes to assemble.. If you have a good supplier nearby they may even stock 3/8" PEX & the Watts/SeaTech fittings. My local plastic pipe wholesaler stocks everything.. I find the straight 10' lengths of PEX in red and blue far easier to work with than rolls and a far better product than clear reinforced PVC..

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ekutney

Pics of the manifold explaining their purpose.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

KWKloeber

Another option for PEX is the newer ProPEX method -- by Uponor (pro stands for proprietary.)

A tool is used to expand the PEX-a and a sleeve -- slip them over a ProPEX fitting, and they contract back to their neutral dimension.   It's kinda the opposite of the PEX crimp-sleeve method. 

It's sweet -- I was in awe watching a plumber blast through a new building totally using that material/method. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9x_D_VxT_Q&feature=youtu.be&t=34

A benefit is the cost of fittings -- a 1/2" ProPEX tee retail is about one boat buck, compared to a Watts push-fit tee at 5X that cost.  The sleeves are about 15 cents in bulk,  The one downside is you need to rent or buy (or find a plumber friend with) the expansion tool.  But, hey it's another tool for the inventory.  :D

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain