Cleaning water tanks

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekutney

I had three water tanks, one under the V berth, one starboard under the setee and a third bladder under the aft berth.  I removed the water bladder (still not sure if I going to reinstall, two of the wooden blocks holding it in place had come loose from the hull).  All the tanks are original but none appear to be leaking.  I removed the starboard tank because it was not that hard and to secure it better (the PO had wedged some wooden blocks) and also give it a good cleaning.  The V berth tank has a wooden support glassed into the hull so removale is difficult unless I cut it out.  The two hard tanks have 3in inspection ports which make visual inspection easier.  I have replaced all fill, vent and supply hoses.  I have reviewed all the information about commissioning the tanks and understand the cocktail I should use.

My question has anyone used the inspection port and some type of flexible rod to clean the inside of their tanks?  Is the cocktail or some other mixture the best way to clean the tank?
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Noah

I wouldn't sweat it, after some chlorine and a few flushes--if the water looks clear in your glass--drink up!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig