Visible Red Dye Penetrant Inspection Kit

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

Would appreciate feedback from anybody who has used a Dye Liquid Penetrant Kit when checking their chain plates during the re-bedding process. I'm looking at Spotcheck®SK-416 Spotcheck Visible Red Dye Liquid Penetrant Kit (from Magnaflux).

Thanks for the help.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Jon W

I read an old comment from Ron about using iodine. I guess nobody has done a dye penetrant test. I ordered the kit and will see how it goes.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Jon W

The dye penetrant kit Spotcheck®SK-416 Spotcheck Visible Red Dye Liquid Penetrant Kit (from Magnaflux) is simple to use and does not require a blacklight. I used the dye penetrant on each chainplate and this is what I have found -

All welds were pristine, however quite a bit of pitting on the plate around the edges. None in a structural area so I did not replace any. The dye penetrant confirmed the visual, and gave me additional peace of mind.

Process steps are as follows -
After removal from boat, clean all sealant/rust/horrors off of the chainplate (I also used a SST brush wheel on my drill).

Spray on the cleaner from the kit, let sit then wipe off completely. Next spray on the dye penetrant, let sit 15-30 minutes then wipe off completely. Then spray on the developer, let dry to a light gray. Any issues show up as a bright red. Then clean with acetone prior to reinstalling. It may look clean, but it isn't.

I have enough left for several boat sets if anyone in San Diego wants to use it. Just let me know.

Other things I found -

The tension rod attaching the chainplate to the hull didn't want to come off with my strap wrench. I used an alligator nosed vise grip that allowed me to clamp onto the rod underneath the shelving (where the tapered shim was) to loosen it, then unscrewed by hand. No visible marking of the rod. Wish the PO did it this way. Reinstalled using lanacote on the threads and the aluminum tapered shim.

Davis FSR is a great product to remove rust stains from the deck with very little scrubbing.

Marine Formula by DeBond Corp works great for removing silicone also with very little scrubbing.

As long as I did it right, I should have no more chainplate leaks for a long time.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Rick Allen

Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.