Serial number location on Universal M35?

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Stu,

Yep after the pdf file option was re-opened up, she seems to be operating grandly.  At last the last manual I uploaded.

Great story!  Too  many "sailors" freak out when forced back to the basics.  One of the times I came into port colborne, ON in the middle of the night with a buddy, he was at the wheel and I was ready with the midship spring line.   Heading down to the slip he idled back and the iron genny stalled (I tend to set the idle low.)  He was ready to call for help, when I knew what he was thinking.  I said, Tom, you know the momentum this boat has,  that she's turns 180 in its own length, where our slip is, and the wind direction.  Just bring 'er in.  He hadn't sailed with me much and hardly any at the wheel, but I knew the kind of mind he has and his analytical constitution.  He looked the situation over, came down 5 slips past ours, swung her around, headed into the wind and brought her right alongside (with a beaming smile) as I stepped (NOT hopped) off with the spring.  Perfect - I could have tied her with one finger.  My Some people inherently "have it," and some "just don't."

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Ken, glad to hear it's working.  While we're regaling Rick with sailing stories, I'll add more.   :D

We bought our boat in 1998.  Around Y2K time, my old friend, Dave, and I reconnected when he moved back here from the east coast.  He said he'd been renting sailboats from a place on The Bay, but he and his friend couldn't seem to get the boats they rented west of Alcatraz, regardless of the currents, and there's always enough wind here.   I invited him out and for the next six years we sailed together every single Friday, come hell or high water.  We did drills for docking, we cruised The Bay and out in the ocean (although he got seasick if he wasn't steering), he helped with all sorts of boat repairs, and we raced.  One of the great things was that Dave got really really good at trimming both the main and the jib, since almost all of the time it was just the two of us.  Dave is one of less than a half a dozen folks I know who I would let take my boat out without me, and he and his wife did just that when we were on a a vacation.

My son, OTOH, has helped with some repairs, like the exhaust hose and muffler & riser replacements, but likes to cruise out on the ocean.

Dave had to be "retrained after every coffee break" to steer a straight line.  He was helpless.  I coined a new term for him:  "Spoke by spoke," because he'd always oversteer.   My son is a gifted "natural" helmsman who couldn't, after all these years, tell you a sheet from a halyard.

Takes all kinds.

But, like Dave said: "We're out here enjoying ourselves."  And so many of the boats we see sitting in marinas just aren't.  I always wonder why they ever bothered to buy a boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Breakin Away

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the suggestions. I apologize for not replying sooner. I've belonged to dozens of message boards, and this is the first one that did not default to subscribing me for email notifications to topics that I started. I realized that just today, and have modified my profile to make sure I get email notifications going forward. Unfortunately, no email prompt meant that I did not go back after a few hours of manually updating my page.

My surveyor went back to the boat to look once again for the serial number, but could not find it. I believe that he entered the transmission stamp onto the lender's paperwork, and that was good enough for them. Things were so hectic in the run-up to closing that once the lender approved the loan, my attention was immediately diverted to other issues.

Now that I have definitive word on the location of the S/N, I'll stick my phone back there and snap a pic of it.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Hawk

Stu,
Based on your Reply #12 do I take it that my 1990 has the M35 engine? I believe the id plate says that but I left the boat on Gabriola Island on the weekend. Catalina Direct says the threading on the M35 may be a problem for the replacement exhaust elbow they have.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

KWKloeber

Quote from: Hawk on July 11, 2016, 09:43:55 PM
Stu,
Based on your Reply #12 do I take it that my 1990 has the M35 engine? I believe the id plate says that but I left the boat on Gabriola Island on the weekend. Catalina Direct says the threading on the M35 may be a problem for the replacement exhaust elbow they have.

Thanks,
Tom

I presume your engine is an OEM M-35, not a repower M-35B?  Is it engine copper-bronze or ice-blue?

Which CD part number are you referring to?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hawk on July 11, 2016, 09:43:55 PM
Stu,

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

I'm in Cowichan Bay, would love to pop right over and take a look, but it's dark out now!   :shock: :shock: :shock:

CD offers a few different risers, so, of course, I have to assume you've chosen the right one for your particular engine.

I have absolutely NO CLUE about what or why they said what they did to you, and absent any definitive written discussion on the website (which I haven't drilled down to in detail on the individual M35 series risers on the CD website), perhaps you can explain more about what they said and maybe meant.

Based on my Reply #12, I cannot, do not, and would not presume to "guess" what engine you have on your boat.  Really, and this is in a spirit of helpfulness.  Only YOU can do that.

Ken's questions, then, are perfectly valid.  I believe there was a recent thread by Breakin' Away about what engine he had and how he found the right pace for the placard.

Help us to help you.

When do you want me to ferry my sorry butt over to check it out with you?   :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Hawk

Stu,

Are you residing in Cowichan Bay or visiting? As for the exhaust elbow it looks to be in fine shape so not to worry. It is ss and clearly not original.
Will update tomorrow on the transmission rebuild which will test run tomorrow....fingers crossed. If this works out I'll recommend every one from Tacoma and on up to sail to Silva Bay for any non-DIY work!

Tom
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Stu Jackson