Serial number location on Universal M35?

Previous topic - Next topic

Breakin Away

The lender for my soon-to-be new-to-me 2001 C34MkII is asking for the serial number of the Universal M35 motor. My surveyor has visited the boat twice, and cannot find the serial number.

Can any of you tell us where it is located?

Thanks,

Rick

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

KWKloeber

The tag has probably fallen off.   Mine was loose ~18 years ago so I removed it -- here's what it looks like.  I think it was at the rear end --maybe on the valve cover or by the tranny?  CRS.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

My M25XP  I.D. plate is right next to "radiator" cap. Can't miss it. Don't know about M35s
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Roc

Rick
Go into the aft cabin.  Take out the cushion and the plank holding the cushions so you can access the rear part of the engine.  If you can, unscrew the cabinetry to get full access to the rear section of the engine.  You'll be able to find the serial number plate.  You might be able to see it without unscrewing any cabinetry by looking inside from the hinged shelf or underneath near the heat exchanger.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mick Laver

On the M35BC it's stamped right under the nameplate.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Stu Jackson

Mick,

Thanks.

IIRC, that's just where the manual says it would be.

Might need a mirror to see it though.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

KWKloeber

Here's GREAT example why to put your engine, etc., info in your signature or profile. 
Different engines, different locations!

Help us help you.  **HUHY**

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Breakin Away on June 14, 2016, 07:45:18 PM
The lender for my soon-to-be new-to-me 2001 C34MkII is asking for the serial number of the Universal M35 motor.

Ken, is this not clear enough?

Rick did everything right.

KWKloeber

Clear to me, Stu.

Methinks yah missed the point. 
It was a general statement -- an example -- an illustration -- a reminder 
(not that Rick didn't identify his engine.)

To wit
- my M25 - was on the rear end;
- M25XP - on the top of exh manifold;
- M35 b series - on the side of the exh manifold (same as M-25XPB)
- and if Rick finds it on the M35 - it may be in yet 'nother location.
Maybe it depends on the day of the week or how much the tech partied the night before?   :D

BTW, the M35 manual does not ID the s/n location, at least not that I see.

kk

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 15, 2016, 09:46:10 PM

Does not page 4, PDF page 10 of 26 show that in the M35B manual?  Seems to be on the side of the manifold, just like the picture provided by Mick.

Rick, do you find it?   :D

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 16, 2016, 05:56:53 AM
Quote from: KWKloeber on June 15, 2016, 09:46:10 PM

Does not page 4, PDF page 10 of 26 show that in the M35B manual?  Seems to be on the side of the manifold, just like the picture provided by Mick.

Rick, do you find it?   :D

Maybe it's human nature to fire off replies (emails, etc) and not read (re-read?) the entire message.  I constantly/consistently see that happen at work.

Stu, I said the manual for the M35, not the M35B.  Fire, ready, aim.

Backing it up, you had suggested Rick look in the manual.  The manual for the original (pre Westerbeke) Universal doesn't show the location of s/n tags.  I didn't want him going loony looking for something that isn't in there.

Ken

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 16, 2016, 07:53:48 AM

Stu, I said the manual for the M35, not the M35B.  Fire, ready, aim.

Oh, come on, we're all simply trying to help.  On the TOAD website, under propulsion history, they list this:

M-35   1987   March-1993   75.5   30   4   335   V-1200   280
M-35A   March-1993   August-1996                       
M-35B   August-1996   Current   

No changes under the tractor V-1200 column indicate to me they're variations on the same engine, unlike, say, the M25XP and the M25XPB, which also had the serial numbers pretty much in the same places.

Thanks for the clarifications though, 'cuz two heads is always better than one.

Hope Rick found it, and you're right, he should set up his signature or avatar stuff, too.

Thanks again.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's crawling around inside his new boat  :clap :clap :clap instead of hanging around on the 'net.   :D :D :D :D

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 16, 2016, 10:48:06 AM
On the TOAD website, under propulsion history, they list this:

M-35   1987   March-1993   75.5   30   4   335   V-1200   280
M-35A   March-1993   August-1996                       
M-35B   August-1996   Current   

No changes under the tractor V-1200 column indicate to me they're variations on the same engine, unlike, say, the M25XP and the M25XPB, which also had the serial numbers pretty much in the same places.

Stu,

TOAD is wrong --- well not wrong but has incomplete data. 
The M-35B is the close cousin to the Kubota V1305D block -- no resemblance whatsoever to the V1200 block.  I guess I should upload that parts manual to the wiki?

The Medalist Motors Universal M-25/XP/XPA/XPA(C) etc, are the baby siblings of the M-35, M-40, M-50.  All the same architecture. 

The M-35B, M-40B, M-50B are the same architecture as the M-25XPB (what I refer to as the Westerbeke/Universal "B-series") but as you know from the XPB, a very different block design from the above (seawater pump on the right side rather than the left on the older engines.)

The Universal parts manual is the same for the M-35, 25, 40, 50; and the M-35B parts manual is the same for the 25XPB, 40B, 50B. 

I assumed :shock: from discussions about the crappy Sherwood on the B-series engines, that you were aware of the 35 vs 35B differences -- but you know what ass/u/ming :oops: does, most especially when it comes to boats.

kk

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 16, 2016, 01:24:32 PM
Stu,

TOAD is wrong --- well not wrong but has incomplete data. 
The M-35B is the close cousin to the Kubota V1305D block -- no resemblance whatsoever to the V1200 block.  I guess I should upload that parts manual to the wiki?

The Medalist Motors Universal M-25/XP/XPA/XPA(C) etc, are the baby siblings of the M-35, M-40, M-50.  All the same architecture. 

The M-35B, M-40B, M-50B are the same architecture as the M-25XPB (what I refer to as the Westerbeke/Universal "B-series") but as you know from the XPB, a very different block design from the above (seawater pump on the right side rather than the left on the older engines.)

The Universal parts manual is the same for the M-35, 25, 40, 50; and the M-35B parts manual is the same for the 25XPB, 40B, 50B. 

I assumed :shock: from discussions about the crappy Sherwood on the B-series engines, that you were aware of the 35 vs 35B differences -- but you know what ass/u/ming :oops: does, most especially when it comes to boats.

kk

Thanks so much, Ken.  That is valuable information.  If you could capture it, that'd be great and much appreciated by all who follow us, and you know I don't mean in the Facebook  Way:D

Has the wiki "performance" now working for you for uploading new material?

Thanks again.

PS --- I "stopped" learning about engines in the "new" boats beyond my M25 and it's almost identical cousin the M25XP, except for one remarkable trip with a skipper with a 1997 Mark II boat, meaning this gray four cylinder diesel engine.  He invited me to join him and his buddy for a trip to Monterey from San Francisco Bay, which I was truly looking forward to.  Other than the fact that when he was refueling he handed me the task of pumping out his F-ing holding tank (! :shock:, I was NOT amused, not my sh*t!), we had a pleasant night at anchor at Horseshoe Cove.   He did wonder about the quality of the fuel at his fuel dock, but he filled up, all of four gallons!  Useless need.   

The next morning we motored out the Golden Gate and eventually turned south, heading for our first stop, Half Moon Bay, 18 miles down the coast.  An hour later, the engine sputtered to a stop, and remember the skipper had refueled while I was pumping his old sh*t.  By then, the wind had come up for a nice broad reach and a relatively easy entrance to HMB.  The other two guys voted to return to The Bay, while I had recommended that we continue to sail south, anchor out and fix the problem.

We sailed back and they decided to go to Sausalito.  The other crew fella said he knew a restaurant that had a huge side tie guest dock.  We discussed how to approach the dock on port tack with an easy side tie with a midship spring line.  When the skipper said he didn't have a line for use as a midship spring line, I gasped, but found one line long enough to make it work in his non-existent collection of lines.

I explained that the way to do this was to drop the main and just use the jib on the very kind 9 knot just-forward-of-the-beam breeze.  They argued about this, but I explained the greater flexibility with the jib given the wind direction and the proposed dock location.

We agreed I would do the spring line, the skipper would steer in and the crew would do the bow line, with NO jumping off the boat.  No need for anyone to get hurt.

When we got within 200 feet of the dock, the skipper barked: "I can't do this, Stu, take over the helm!"  Sure.  I'd been docking like this, singlehanded, for many years, when I refueled and docked at places that were not my home slip.

The skipper sat down on the port cockpit seat, with the midship line in his hand, which was not too useful, so I suggested he get up and in position.  We glided in comfortably and kissed the dock.

Of course, both of them HOPPED of the F-ing boat.  I was just very glad they didn't hurt themselves.  Tied up easily.

So, then we went down below to check why the engine stopped.  I'd had this discussion with the skipper ever since it stopped, and said it was simply fuel starvation and that the skipper should blow back into the fuel line from the filter to clear whatever obstruction was there.  He refused,  a large number of times. 

Then they asked: "We have to leave this restaurant dock, how do we get my boat back to my slip?"  His slip was DDW, about 5 nm.  I said, "We sail." 

"But, but, but, how do we leave the dock?"  I explained how to double lines back, since the wind was blowing us off the dock anyway.   And how we would sail downwind on JUST the jib.  "No, guys, please to do NOT try to raise the main.  It is NOT required."

So we slipped the lines, floated gently off the dock and had a rollicking sail down to his marina, and managed to get into a slip that wasn't his, but close enough for him to move his boat the next day.

I didn't volunteer to pump his holding tank again.  Never will.

The reason for this story?

I've been wanting to tell it for a long time. :D 

To explain to new skippers that it is bad form to ask someone to pump out your holding tank if you haven't contributed to its contents.  That a Catalina 34 can be sailed into a simple side tie dock.   That midship spring lines are VERY important.  That mainsails are not always THE answer, since jibs can be much more forgiving and flexible in close quarters maneuvers.  That when a skipper wonders about using a fuel dock with unknown fuel quality, maybe he shouldn't.  That sometimes continuing on is better than going back.  That the Catalina 34 is a wonderful sailing boat.

It took me a few emails to him to finally find out what his "mechanic" was able to find out about his engine dying.

"Oh," he said, "He just blew back into the fuel hose, started up the engine, and it's been working fine ever since."

Why didn't "I" do this?  It was HIS boat!

I surely envy the Mark II owners who have great access to their engine and fuel systems below  their aft cabin cushions.  It's really kinda nice down there once the cushions are removed.

And that's about all I know about M35, M35B or any other engines newer than my venerable M25, which with the addition of the 3 inch HX and new alternator bracket is almost an M25XP.  :thumb:

Really.   :D :D :D