tach

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I removed my nonworking tach and wondered how to test it !
Thanks
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailaway

Take a battery any battery an put it across the meter it will move. A 1.5v cell would be a good start. Charlie

sailaway

When I say put a battery across the meter movement or tach gauge the same thing Charlie

crieders

The manuals don't show how to test it, after reviewing them. I apologize for my ignorance but can someone be more explicit as to how to test it. I did not understand from the posts

sailaway

First take an electrical  ohm meter an take the two leads from the meter an put one on each terminal on the back of the tach meter there are different terminals. One says send - alternator one is gnd-ground I would think you should get an ohm reading with your electrical meter. To make sure you electrical meter is on ohm touch the two meter leads together you will read 0 ohms. Try different combinations of terminals to look for ohms the light bulb should be about 7-10 ohms Charlie

crieders

Thank you
will try that.

crieders

Finally got to try the ohm test and the meter moved from the rest position at 500 only to about 50. Very little. What is the significance of that?

KWKloeber

Quote from: crieders on June 21, 2016, 11:51:08 AM
The manuals don't show how to test it, after reviewing them. I apologize for my ignorance but can someone be more explicit as to how to test it. I did not understand from the posts

Clif see the techwiki troubleshooting guide
http://c34.org/wiki/images/3/34/Gauge_Troubleshooting_Steps.pdf

There's very little you can do with a malfunctioning tach.   Test the alternator 'tach' or 'AC' post to negative to see if you have an alternating current signal and the voltage - disconnected from the tach.

sometimes the adjustment on the tach gets oxidized and turning it back and forth to different positions will clean it up for a while.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain