Sanitation System Help Needed

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailing48N

The reason, as explained by the previous and original owner, is that the original port side holding tank was a collapsible bladder. It gave them nothing but problems and thus he replaced it that first year back in '86-'87. It's been in it's current configuration for the past 29 years. They didn't have a solid tank option for the port side location back then so it was going to be a custom job for him no matter what back then.

As much as I'd prefer the holding tank to be closer to the head, it's not a change that I'm going to be making at this time. It's been doing fine up there for the last 29 years so another 10 years or longer should be no problem once I've replaced the hoses. It's really only about 8 to 10 feet more hose to run it up under the v-berth. I'm guessing it's only a handful more dry flushes to clear the hose. I'll do dome tests with "clean" flushes to find out exactly how many flushes it takes once I have it all back together.

Last night I removed the tank and got a good look up front at where the vent hose is run. I couldn't get the forward panel behind the anchor well removed easily last night. I'll try again tomorrow. Or I might be able to access what I need from the anchor well itself. There's a 6 inch access port on the starboard side of the anchor well. I might be able to run the new vent line hose down from there following the contour of the hull down into the holding tank location.
Russell & Lindsay
1986 Hull #154 - Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Tacoma, WA

Jon W

Is the port side under the cushion all storage then?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Sailing48N

Yes, and there were no through hulls ever installed in that location either. Currently it's completely empty with the exception of the separate starter battery at the far aft end of that compartment. The house batteries (large bank of 4 6-volt batteries) are located just forward of the sink under the seat.
Russell & Lindsay
1986 Hull #154 - Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Tacoma, WA

Steve McGill

Russ,

Thanks  for the update, the more I think I understand of our boats I find I really understand less. Looking at the attached price list your boat may not have
been built with the available head/holding tank option.

http://www.c34.org/1985pricelist.jpg

It just shows I cannot assume anything about our boats.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."