Composite propane cylinders

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Laver

Does anyone know if the 11# composite propane cylinders will fit in the well of a MkII? From the published dimensions (15.24"H x 12" Dia.) the height is OK, but they look to be about 1.7" larger in diameter than the Worthington aluminum cylinders. I was wondering if anyone had installed one. Thanks.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Ken Juul

Not sure about the size.  IIRC there was a recall on them a year or so ago.  Might want to look into that before you purchase.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mick Laver

Hi Ken
Yes I did see your post about that from a couple of years ago. The recall was for the "Lite Company" products. The ones I'm looking ate are manufactured by Trident Marine Hose, sold by Fisheries Supply in Seattle. FS seemed to have a pretty good price so I thought it might be worth having a backup in case my wife decides to make baked potatoes in the oven again. Yikes! :shock:
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mick Laver on June 08, 2016, 04:07:21 PM
........... in case my wife decides to make baked potatoes in the oven again. Yikes! :shock:

Gee, and here I thought that's why they invented microwave ovens!  Deary me... :abd:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mick Laver

Welllllll. We were on the hook. Our weezy 700W microwave pulls > 100A, so the 15-16 minutes it would take to cook 4 potatoes would probably deplete my house bank's usable capacity by more than 20%. Even so, recharging the batteries is doable where replacing the propane isn't, so maybe the microwave is a good solution. The question becomes is it wise to deplete the batteries so rapidly? I've never run the microwave for more than 3-4 minutes on the inverter, but perhaps I'm being too cautious.

In full disclosure (and to take my wife out from under the bus), I actually cooked the 4 baked potatoes wrapped in foil on the Magma. That took about 35-40 minutes. She was cooking something else in the oven that took about the same amount of time; the baked potato example was just easier.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Stu Jackson

Mick,

There are sooooooo many other ways to cook potatoes.  Just ask Dan Quayle.  :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

If baked potatoes are on the menu, we always cook them at home.  Then use the microwave, grill, or oven for a quick reheat.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

bayates

And the potatoes were excellent.  Always great food & wine on Cinnamon. 
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA