Nicro Dorade (1989) Parts

Previous topic - Next topic

mtmaksim

Hello everyone.  This is my first post to the forum.   My wife & I purchased a 1989 (Sail #880) Catalina 34 last fall.  This spring/summer, we are working on getting some of the "kinks" out of the boat.  We have two Nicro dorade vents, and I read the articles/wiki/mainsheet articles about replacing the vents with new vents and dorade boxes. 

Looking at our vents, the only thing that we are having issues with is the internal mechanism.  The screw and "mushroom cap" that keeps the water out are missing - which means that currently, we can see daylight through our dorades - not good!

I was wondering if anyone that replaced their Nicro dorades with something new had the old parts laying around?  I'm interested in purchasing them - Catalina, CatalinaDirect, nor anyone else has replacement parts any longer.

Thank you!

Mike Maksimchuk
Sisu - Sail #880
Mike & Anne Maksimchuk
1989 C34 #880  "Sisu"
Mk I, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Whitehall, MI
People - Kent City, MI

DaveBMusik

I just replaced mine. They were Vetus Mushroom vents from Jamestown Distributors. I believe they were the Athos size.
Remove the dorade vent, pry off the old ones, re-pot the holes. I used butyl tape from mainesail. They work beautifully.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=119962&engine=adwords&keyword=product_ad&gclid=CO-z4dOXl80CFdgcgQod5ekK4w
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Noah

Be careful, I believe the 86 vs 89 MAY be different. My1990 was not a vetus mushroom. It was a self-contained unit. I replaced my cracked plastic Nico Fico dorade "box" AND the cowl vents with the Air-Only brand (shipped out of Malta). They took some fussing around with teak trim rings, etc. But finally worked well.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mtmaksim

It is just the internal flange/cover and screw that are missing.  I would rather not have to put in 2 new vents if I can source the parts somewhere....

Thanks for your suggestions so far though!
Mike & Anne Maksimchuk
1989 C34 #880  "Sisu"
Boat - Whitehall, MI
People - Kent City, MI

Stu Jackson

From my old files
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mtmaksim

Fantastic resource. Thanks Stu!
Mike & Anne Maksimchuk
1989 C34 #880  "Sisu"
Boat - Whitehall, MI
People - Kent City, MI

yonar

Turk Yonar
1989 C34 Hull # 858
Tradewinds
Long Beach, CA

Noah

SECOND WARNING--If yours is a Nicro brand dorade vent it is probably a 3 in. not a 4 in. (like the Stu's Vetus.) You MAY have fit issues.
Standard Rig

rmbrown

You guys are making me jealous!  I have stainless cowls screwed into metal deck plates fitted into teak rings on the cabin top... no dorade box in site.  Unscrew the cowls and you can look straight down into my galley or chart table.

To make matters worse,  even turned away from the wind they leak horribly.  When i removed the inside trim rings and screens, i can see that i have rot in the deck core as the fiberglass is split all around inside the cylindrical shaft under each cowl.

Were the dorades under the cowls optional?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Noah

Mike: I can't imagine that yours is a factory install. Would be incredible if Catalina (or anyone) installed a cowl vent directly to the deck without the dorade/water stop base closing vent, albeit a box/tower or mushroom  mechanism. Catalina stopped installing dorade/cowl vents on the MK II, but not sure what was stock on your 1993 "1.5". I don't know if Vetus still makes mushroom dorade bases. Nicro Fico does not.  I replaced mine with the Air-Only brand. You might look at these. They are made in Europe. Search web or this forum for "Air-Only", you will find them.
Standard Rig

Susan Ray

Aloha,
I added these solar vents in place of the cowl vents.
There's lots of sun here so they work fine!
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

scgunner

Susan,

I did the same thing on Top Gun, I got the idea from another 34(Blondie) on my dock. The solar vents work great and it's one less thing for the jib sheets to get hung up on when tacking. On more than one occasion I've had the jib sheet actually catch on and knock the dorade off it's mount and had to chase it around the deck before it could find it's way over the side.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jeff Tancock

Susan, Kevin,
Those look like something I need.
Are they a swap out fit?
Do they keep out the bugs and water?
Where did you find them?
Thanks
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp