Introduction from a new C34 owner...

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailing48N

Hello everyone,

I've been hiding in the shadows of this form and site for the last few months as I researched and learned as much as possible while in the process of finding an purchasing a sailboat. The pickings were very slim up here in the Northwest and I was originally thinking that I'd need to look for a Catalina 30 although I preferred the 34. With a 30 we probably could have had a much younger boat. However, while my 12 year old son and I were looking at a 30 (which had just been sold before we got there) we saw a nice Catalina 34 across the dock for sale. It was much older than what we were searching for but decided to take a closer look. It turned out that it was the boat for us!!!

I grew up with sailboats and being out on the water is in my DNA but it has been about 15 years since my dad retired our old family Catalina 30. It's been a long time coming but my wife and I finally decided to take the plunge. We are now the proud new owners of a 1986 C34 standard rig fin keel hull #154. It's currently named Luffin' Sloopful but will soon be renamed to Peacemaker. It's been a one owner boat for the last 30 years and is overall in good shape. Lots of work is still needed but that's what is to be expected of a boat this age and it was priced accordingly.

Current undertakings:
   • Replace all holding tank hoses (bad smell permeating throughout the boat)
   • Replace all running gear lines (still researching my options - leaning towards Samson lines)
   • Install a permanent onboard battery charger
   • Install automatic bilge pump
   • Replace the clam cleat for the mainsheet with a clutch
   • Replace the guides under the traveler (don't know what they are called)
   • Replace hood roller furling centering clamp (currently it just free spins)
   • A bunch of other minor little things

Cosmetic Undertakings:
   • Replace the mainsail and pedestal covers (ordered yesterday)
   • 3 new fenders (only came with 2 that will now be repurposed at our moorage slip)
   • Wash the dirty sails (need some calm wind on a day off work)
   • Thoroughly wash the deck of the boat (been too busy using the boat to give it a good wash - lol)
   • Replace the rub rail insert with a gray one

Our maiden voyage was the trip home from Shilsole Marina north of Seattle to Tyee Marina in Tacoma to bring our newly purchase boat home. It was about a 7 hour trip into a 15 knot head wind with gusts pushing 25 knots and a little bit of rain of course. We were able to raise the main and power sale most of the way which help us pick up another knot or so in speed. However, it was a very wet trip home especially considering that out boat does not have a dodger. Our three kids (10, 12, and 14) still had a blast even though it made for a very long day.

We've taken her out twice more since then and last weekend did our first overnighter to Blake Island with the family.

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice I'm sure will come.
Russell

Russell & Lindsay
1986 Hull #154 - Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Tacoma, WA

Stu Jackson

Welcome to our little world.  Glad you did your research and we were able to help.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Phil Spicer

Russell, Welcome aboard. Like you, looking for a 30, got a 27. Looking again for a 30, got our 34 and never looked back. The boys grown up on the boat with friends aboard all the time. Your family will enjoy the room of the 34. Enjoy!
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ekutney

I am also the new owner of a 1986 C34 that I purchased in Jan 2016.  The previous owner had the boat for 27 years and took good care of the boat but many of the systems had never been upgraded, I have gone through and done a good bit of work on the boat.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to what I have found to be an invaluable resource.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke