Macerator pump issue

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

End of last season I pumped out the tank.  Then added some antifreeze over the winter.  This spring I tried to use the macerator pump to get the antifreeze out.  Didn't seem to work.  I put a new tank in last year and changed the piping up from the old tank.
There is a pickup tube in the tank, installed by Ronco, that exits on the top side corner of the tank.  Hose goes from the tank fitting to a y valve.  One side of the valve goes to the pumpout deck fitting.  Other side goes to the macerator pump.  Would the macerator not have enough oomph to pull through the pickup tube?

Stu Jackson

Matt, those macerator pumps are strong.  More than enough power.  If yours isn't working, it could be jammed.  First thing to do is to switch the + & - wires to make it run backwards for a VERY short period of time, like a few nanoseconds!  That might free it up.  If that doesn't work, use the troubleshooting guide in the manual, which includes the "trick" of using a big screwdriver on the nut at the back face of the pump.  If those two things don't work, it's time for a new pump.  I had mine replaced in 2014.  It was "only" 28 years old!!!  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Switching the leads usually works for me.  Since I usually end up doing it once or twice a season, I know it's a no no but that is the only place I use wire nuts on the boat.  Makes it switching leads easy.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roc

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Noah

Hey Roc - When you buy your pack of 100 from WM for $164.00 let me know and I'll buy 2 connectors from you if you can spare them. :shock:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mregan

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try this weekend.

Roc

Buying in bulk saves money!!   :thumb:
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Lance Jones

Your output hose is on the top corner? Shouldn't it be in the lower corner?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622