switching position of facett fuel pump and putting in new primary fuel filter

Previous topic - Next topic

garyw

Hi

I have the original dahl fuel filter set up on my 1986 m25 engine catalina 34 and I will be replacing it with the racor that I am buying from catalina direct.   Since my pump is located closer to the fuel tank, I was going to change it 's position as I put in the new fuel filter and move it to after the fuel filter.     Is this worthwhile to do or would you just leave the pump where it is.   

I will follow the directions noted on prior posts on changing to the new filter except on my m25 engine , I will leave the bleed valve open
while I do the above.    Is it worthwhile also to clamp the fuel lines as I do the above to minimize entry of air. 

Any advice or additional comments appreciated.   

Gary W
Catalina 34
M25 engine.

Ekutney

Gary,

I just did the same thing in Feb right after I bought my boat. Replaced Dahl, changed pump config to after filter, the change was suggested by mechanic and this forum.  I would do it again, everything worked out when I ran the engine.

It did take some time to reprise the fuel system, keep in mind since it takes extra cranking time before the engine starts check the water lift muffler water level.  You could even shut off raw water input until the engine starts.

I did not clamp my fuel lines when starting after changing the fuel filter, fuel pump config or fuel lines, it just took about 45 seconds of cranking before the engine started.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke