Relocating the Water Heater to below aft berth or further aft

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekutney

Has anyone else changed the location of the Water Heater from the space below the sink?  I have removed the Water Heater and am considering relocating it to the space under the aft berth, the area under the smaller opening.  I am headed to the boat today to see how the new Water Heater would fit in that space.  I understand this would mean rerouting the following:
Coolant lines from the engine
AC power
Hot water supply lines
I like the idea of being able to use the storage area under the sink by moving the Water Heater to an area which is less accessible to use for storage.  I am in the process of doing some extensive plumbing so changing the routing of water lines has to be done anyway.  Re routing the coolant lines would not be difficult.  Extending the AC to this location would also be easy.  Other things I have considered are the extra length for hot water but that does not seem to be an issue.  Longer AC run, also a minor concern.  Re routing the coolant lines, just another location but the length would be about the same.  I was thinking that the heat from the water heater under the berth might be something to consider but it is insulated and being in a smaller enclosed space might help.

Is there something I am missing?  At first glance this sounds like it might be a good idea...  Please chime in with opinions.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Ekutney

The current area where the water was located is shown in the attached pic.  If I relocated the Water Heater this could be used for storage by leaving the drawer and using the door for access or I could install larger access doors where the drawer is currently mounted, I've seen something like this in a previous post.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

mark_53

Sounds like an interesting idea. More convenient access storage space. You may consider excess heat a water heater may produce may be uncomfortable to someone sleeping above it.

SPembleton

My PO relocated the HWT. The tank is located in the aft lazarette, and the PO cut a new accessway through the aft bulkhead. It works well this way. It was hard to get pics from the lazarette, but in the second pic below, you can see the accessway to the aft cabin in the background. The final pic shows how it is supported.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Ekutney

I now understand where your HW is located, thanks for the pics.  I looked in the lazerette today while at the boat.  There is already a shelf in this location, I would have to put an access panel in the aft bulkhead.  The WH I would put here is 14 in wide X 14 in high X 19 in deep, all the in/out are mounted on the side which would face the access panel.  Extending the coolant lines, water lines and AC power should not be an issue.  What type of panel is used to cover the access hole?  A pic of my current bulkhead is attached.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

SPembleton

My PO just cut out the opening carefully and trimmed out the piece he cut out with teak and screwed it back in place. He may have had to trim the cutout a little.  The teak boards have a grove cut on the edge for the cutout to fit in, and they are rabbetted on the inside to allow the cutout piece to sit fairly flush with the rest of the bulkhead.

If i can get to the boat today, i will get a pic of the cover and the trim boards.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

SPembleton

First pic below is the accessway closed. Note that the PO had to notch the trim boards to fit around where the cable chase come down.  Be careful about cutting too far toward the starboard (outboard) side as you have to avoid the hanging locker.

Second pic is showing the opening edge on the starboard (outboard) side. You can see the fiberglass build up to support the hanging locker.

Third pic is of the portside (inboard) side of the opening. Notice that the PO reinforced the opening by putting some wood along the edge. This wood appears to be glued in place.

I hit my max pictures. I will post last pic on next posting.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

SPembleton

Fourth pic is the from the (interior) side of the cover. I was wrong, the trim boards are not rabbetted, just grooved to fit the cutout piece and routed on the outer edge for cosmetic reasons

Fifth pic is from the back of the cover. It appears that the PO reinforced the cutout piece. I am not sure what the material is, but it probable can be anything that can survive the environment.

Hit max again. Last pic on next post
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

SPembleton

Last and final pic is of the fill location on the deck. It is in the same place as the diesel fill opening on the port side. Tube runs from there down to the aft side of the water tank
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

Ekutney

Steve,
Thanks for all the pics.  Just got to the boat to make some measurements to see how things may fit.  Can you tell me the size of your opening?
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

SPembleton

Can't get back to boat today.  Will measure tomorrow.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

Stu Jackson

Ed,

Before you make this move, and the difficulties with the aft wall of fiberglass you have where most of the rest of us have a wood panel, consider these advantages and disadvantages/

Advantages

1. Frees up space below the galley sink.

Disadvantages

1.  Longer run for hot water to get to the galley sink, where you use MOST if not all of your hot water.  It takes "forever" for hot water to get to our head sink.  You WILL use a LOT more water, period, and use/waste a LOT more hot water, 'cuz when you turn off the hot faucet in the galley sink, the hot water remains in the hose and gets cold very quickly.

2.  Anything aft can get in the way of the prop shaft and the steering.  Access sucks to begin with.  Why make it worse?

There's a reason Catalina put it where they did.

ITWMB, I'd keep it there, replace it (I did mine).  If you haven't yet, turn the nav station hanging locker into a pantry.  It's a lot more usable space anyway.

Not all PO mods are good.

Your boat, your choice.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SPembleton

Here is the dimensions of the opening: 17 3/8h x 14.5w.

Btw you might want to retitle this thread since we really are NOT discuss putting it BELOW the aft berth, but BEHIND it. 

I always respect Stu's opinions and there is a lot of merit in what he suggests.  I have not had a long time to get hot water to galley.  I use the head so rarely, i have no idea about that.  Regarding access to prop shaft and steering, it is far enough athwartships to be out of the way.  You would access the hwh from either the aft lazarette or the accessway that you would create.  You would access the prop, coupling etc from the accessway below the aft berth. 

I am not suggesting either way, just describing what my PO did before me. As Stu always says: "Your boat, your choice"
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

Ekutney

I appreciate all the information, comments and suggestions provided in response to this post.  I have thought very carefully, considered everything and decided to keep the WH where it was previously.  I made a trip this weekend to inside the lazerette and it would require more work then I initially thought to mount the WH there.  I do not have a shelf near the aft bulkhead.  The shelf that is currently there is all the way back aft, pic is attached.  The pics show the shelf that is far aft in the lazerette on the stbd side and the aft bulkhead as viewed inside the lazerette.

I am amazed at the amount of unused space in the lazerette, it is very tight quarters to get in there but is wide open.  I can see why Caralina opted to locate a large water tank back there plus I do think it helps trim the boat by putting weight back aft.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke