need new prop shaft and coupling

Previous topic - Next topic

Indian Falls

I removed my bronze shaft, prop, coupling and cutlass bearing 2 years ago.
I found that the bronze shaft is Cast bronze and is only machined on the ends enough to accommodate the coupler and the cutlass bearing.  I could not set it in v blocks to check for runout or bending. Best I could test was it had less than .005 runout... in other words not bent by wrapping a stern line.  The prop however was tweaked and needed balancing and re pitching.  I put the Flange coupling  back on without any fanfare , tightened the setscrews, put new seizing wire and have not looked back.  According to Mainsail, if I read that right, I should not have re-used the flange coupling.  I would say if I had changed shafts I would need to get a new coupling or have the old one lapped... hopefully he clarifies on this thread.  I look at my coupling every time I check the stuffing box.  So far nothing to report except smooth operation.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Braxton

Steve, do you remember the model number for the coupling?    I think I may be headed the same direction you went and I am trying to save myself a trip to the boat.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

SPembleton

I am out of town and not able to get to the boat now, but I just called Federal Marine (708) 352-2200)
and talk to them. VERY Helpful.  Be careful Someone else has a Web address similar to them. Call them direct.  They do sell direct.  They we are to ship in 2 days.  I am supposed to relaunch this Friday.  I will post after that to give my impression of results.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."