Aft water tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekutney

I viewed previous posts on this forum talking about the aft water tank which if accessed via the rear bulkhead in the aft berth.  I currently have a water bladder located under the rear berth and plan to remove it and install an actual water tank.  The water bladder is 200 liters and I understand I will not be able to get a rigid water tank with the same capacity to fit in the space under the aft berth.  I've attached pics of the current water bladder and will also attach a pic of the aft bulkhead for reference.

My question is has anyone else attempted to do this?

There are currently two water tanks, one under the V berth and one under the starboard setee, one of the reasons I want to install a third under the aft berth is because the boat sits bow heavy.  I notice this after it rains because water collects in the forward portion of the cockpit.  I also assume this is why the aft water tank behind the aft berth bulkhead became standard configuration on later boats.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Roc

Ed,
On the MKII's, that section is not fiberglass.  The bulkhead is open (large break in the center) and a teak panel covers the opening, with the rigid aft water tank behind.  My guess is you can cut that section and cover it with teak plywood.  I would contact CY to make sure the opening would also work on the MkI as they do on the MkII.  They may have changed structural elements on the MKII to allow the break in the bulhead for the aft water tank access.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Noah

Here are pics of my MKI
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Ekut : You are going to have to cut fiberglass to install a ridged tank.   :cry4`

Your other option is a bladder tank behind or just above the strut connection under the aft cabin floor. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ekutney

I'll take a look from the inside of the lazarett this weekend and see what it looks like from the other side of the bulkhead.  I think installing a rigid water tank in that location would be a major project.

I was actually thinking of trying to find A rigid tank that would fit under aft berth, I am thinking of something in the 25 gal capacity.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Stu Jackson

Ed, Peggie Hall always recommends RONCO tanks.  They have a ton of standard sizes and will put the openings and connectors exactly where YOU want them.  Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

The OEM aft tank is reportedly 43 gallons, and if you use the area underneath the starboard side of the aft cabin, I am sure you culd get more than 25 gallons. 

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Hi,

Yes RONCO is the place to go.
Very nice service and quick too.

Just replace my sceptic tank with them.
Was an exact copy of the original one.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ekutney

Stu & Patrice,

Thanks for the info.   It is not at the top of my list since I have two water tanks already, one under the V berth and the starboard tank.  My primary concern at this point is trim of the boat, it seems to sit bow heavy but I'll get a better idea when it gets back in the water in a couple weeks.  It was hauled about a month ago for thru hull and bottom paint but when it was in the water I collected water forward in the cockpit.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

Ekutney

Has anybody actually installed a water tank either under the aft berth or opened the aft bulkhead then installed one just like Cataline did on later MK1s?  I do not have a removable teak panel on the aft bulkhead in the aft berth.   I included a pic in a previous post, not sure how much effort is involved or if it can even be done.  I have a call into Catalina asking their input.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

SPembleton

I have a water tank under my aft berth. One of the POs installed it, so i dont know the source, but there is a nameplate on it.  Here is a pic. I can go to boat this morning if you have a specific question, or want a better pic of the label or...?
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Ekutney

Was the opening under the aft berth modified to install the water tank?  What is the capacity?  I would greatly appreciate any other pics you can take of how it is mounted.  Also the manufacturer and model number.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

SPembleton

I am going to the boat tomorrow and will get more pics, and see if I can answer your other ?s.

Btw, what do you have in this location? Is it just vacant? Do you have the opening? If I know what you have I can see what is different in my boat.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

Ekutney

A 200 liter water bladder is currently located there but it is original to the boat which is a 1986, I'm thinking of replacing it.  A picture of the bladder label is in the first post.  There is an opening and I'm not sure of the exact dimensions but I'd estimate it is 45 (aft to fwd) X 36 (port to stbd).   I'm headed to the boat over the weekend and will take more pics and get exact dimensions.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

SPembleton

The tank in my boat is about 30" x 21.5" x 10", roughly. Since it was installed by a PO, I have no knowledge beyond what I can see. I have attached a pic of the label, which tells me that it was fabricated locally. The second picture shows the two openings in the aft cabin. I already posted a pic of the water tank itself above. The final pic is of the attachment plates.  The tank has a plastic fitting at the bottom on the front side that a hose is attached to. I didn't include a pic since that is pretty staright-forward.  Do you want any more info? My boat goes back on the hard on Monday (see my post on needing a new shaft and coupling), so if you need more pics, it will be easier this weekend before it is pulled.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

Ekutney

Steve,

The opening on my boat looks to be about the same size.  It seems the PO found a tank that fit the opening and the tabs install on the lip of the opening. The cover is modified with cutouts where the tabs from the tank connect the edge of the opening.  Where is the water fill for the tank located, my guess would be at the back of the tank up high, also the location of the vent line.   I'm headed to the boat tomorrow and will take some pics of my configuration.  I'll look up the info on the label and see where that leads.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke