Introduction: Looking at C34MkII this afternoon

Previous topic - Next topic

Breakin Away

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 29, 2016, 08:10:25 AM
It's a Mark II, so alternator bracket and traveler are NOT issues.  Harness?  Always. But Mark IIs all had voltmeters.
OK, now I'm confused. The harness upgrade looks like it is not needed for 1993 model year and later:
QuoteWith the introduction of the 1993 models, there were numerous changes in the harness and panel system, so many in fact that a new style panel carries a label identifying it as a "Type "A" High Efficiency Panel"...
...No boats manufactured prior to the 1993 model year came from the factory with the high efficiency panel. Therefore, all 1992 and earlier models would benefit from the installation of the retrofit kit...
...The upgrade consists of 3 different items depending on your needs. Kit "A" is for 1970's through 1987 model boats, and contains a voltmeter, 2 termstrips, a charging terminal, step-by-step instructions and wiring diagrams (cost: $50). Kit "B" is for 1988 through 1992 boats that already have a voltmeter, and contains all the items mentioned above except the meter (cost: $20).

So why is the harness "always" a problem for 2001 vintage boats?

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

bayates

We just had bottom paint on Hakuna Matata (MKII) done in Feb. this year in San Diego and it was $1500 for the haul, prep and 3 coats of paint.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

Footloose

If you are handy with a sewing machine you can replace the glass in the dodger yourself.  The glass is available from SailRite.  You will need access to an industrial sewing machine to sew through all the layers.   A home machine won't even come close.  I did mine about 5-6 years ago and it is still looking good.  It only gets Vermont sun for 4-5 months a year.  Your mileage will vary in the south.

I just got done redoing the bottom on Footloose.  Had it soda blasted.  Great way to get it done.  I was able to cover the bottom with one gallon of Interprotect 2000e as a barrier coat. Repeat four times.
Then top coated with anti-fouling paint.  I was able to do it myself.  If the weather cooperates, you can do this in a day and a half.  I did have some tendonitis in my wrist after rolling on all the paint.  You also have to have a yard that allows do it yourself work.

By the way, We love this boat.  I think if you pull the trigger you will be happy!
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Breakin Away

I am used to doing it myself, including bottom paint on my current boat. But in this case I think I need to hire it out. The boat is 3+ hours away from my home, and there would be housing costs for a multi-day trip. Also, I'd be on the hook for yard storage costs while I'm doing this work. So I think I'm going to have it done for me.

The boat has been almost stripped of bottom paint. I don't think it's clean as soda blasting would have it, but there's more white than blue showing. Not sure why the owner did this, but it was done recently, because there's less paint on it than in the listing pictures.

I need to discuss the paint with the broker, since the boat should not go into the water for sea trial without bottom paint. That means painting it before I own it, which means it needs to be worked out with the owner. It just does not make sense to get a nice, clean, dry hull wet with salt water before painting it. If the owner fails to sell it by his deadline and takes the boat ~700 miles to his new location, he's going to need bottom paint anyway.

FYI, I did not see any sign of barrier coat under the paint, but I don't think it's needed for vinylester resin. I've never heard any reports of blisters on boats made after Catalina switched chemistry. My 1998 vintage C250 has no blisters, and no barrier coat. I did not see any signs of blisters on this boat.

I've done a little sewing for my current boat, but have neither the skills or equipment to do this job myself. So that will be hired out also.

DIY jobs have a way of taking longer than expected, and these are two things the I'd like to have done ASAP before/after taking posession.

FYI, last night I sent messages to the broker that I want to make an offer, but have not heard back from her yet.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Breakin Away

Offer is placed verbally. Waiting for YBAA documents to sign to place it formally.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: SecondWind on May 29, 2016, 10:05:22 PM
OK, now I'm confused. The harness upgrade looks like it is not needed for 1993 model year and later:
So why is the harness "always" a problem for 2001 vintage boats?

The harness is always an issue on any boat because of the connectors.  Trailer connectors or Gummy Bears, take your pick.  While I don't have a Mark II, I am pretty sure they exist, unless the factory started building them with hard wired connectors, which I doubt.

Any Mark II skippers out there?  :D

Good luck on the purchasing process.  We had a Catalina 25 SRFK for 13 years before we bought our 34.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Breakin Away

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 30, 2016, 12:10:04 PM
The harness is always an issue on any boat because of the connectors.  Trailer connectors or Gummy Bears, take your pick.  While I don't have a Mark II, I am pretty sure they exist, unless the factory started building them with hard wired connectors, which I doubt.

Any Mark II skippers out there?  :D

Good luck on the purchasing process.  We had a Catalina 25 SRFK for 13 years before we bought our 34.
Thanks for the clarification, Stu. I have seen you on the C25 message board many times.

This sounds to me like the connectors can wear out, so no matter how good the original design was, they need to be checked periodically. Is the correct, or did I misunderstand (again)? Also, not to be dense, but what are Gummy Bears? I've done enough trailering that I have a mental picture of trailer connectors.

Noah

Bottom paint:
Why can't the boat be sea trialed without bottom paint? We "day-sail" crane launch big racing boats around here with no bottom paint on them.

Regarding paint costs:
Surprisingly, it looks like we get off cheaper in San Diego (about time we caught a break on something), my yard round-trip haul/launch, bottom job was $1,250 with two coats of Interlux "The Protector" high copper hard paint. 
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: SecondWind on May 30, 2016, 12:54:31 PM

This sounds to me like the connectors can wear out, so no matter how good the original design was, they need to be checked periodically. Is the correct, or did I misunderstand (again)? Also, not to be dense, but what are Gummy Bears? I've done enough trailering that I have a mental picture of trailer connectors.

Gummy Bears is a term Ken Kloeber coined.  See Critical Upgrades, here's mentioned them a few times there, IIRC.  If not, there's always the super search engine, right?  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave S

I've always done my own bottom painting, so I can't reference any invoices. However, I did find one quote of $21/ft. in the Annapolis area for haul, wash, prep, paint, and launch.

I have a 2000 MkII, hull# 1471 that I purchased in 2012. I've made a lot of upgrades since, but nothing that kept me from sailing. I keep it just south of Annapolis in Mayo. Incidentally, I traded up from a Catalina 250 wing keel also.

I'd be happy to compare notes if you want to contact me directly: mdforester at verizon.net
2000 Mk II #1471
s/v Breezin'
Annapolis, MD

Breakin Away

Thanks, Dave. That rate is a good reference point. I'll call the marina tomorrow and get their rates. For our revised offer we've taken out the request that they paint the near-bare bottom. It simplifies the ownership logistics, and allows us to control paint selection and other quality issues. Unless I get other advice, we'll do sea trial without paint, then haul her back out to await the surveyor's report and to get insurance finalized prior to closing.

Since I've always been a DIY type, I'll consider maybe painting myself, but if I can get a rate of $21/ft or less (since boat will already be on the hard) I might just have the yard do it this time to expedite things. We'll see.

I plan to move her to Rock Hall when we take possession, so we'll be across the bay from you. I've spent a lot of time in your area, though. As a kid I spent summers with my grandparents in Deale, and also last summer my friend gave me and my wife full use of her Mason 44 in Galesville. She quickly became my BFF  ;-)  But frankly, we like Catalinas better for bay sailing, because Masons really are meant to go a thousand miles in one direction. The Bay is a little too narrow for them.   :lol:

Ekutney

I used a surveyor in the Annapolis area this past Dec, he came highly recommended and did a very detailed job, Robert Noyce.

I bought a 1986 C34 hull #42 and have been doing a number of projects, this forum has been a valuable resource.  The boat is currently on the hard for thru hull & bottom paint.  I was quoted  $13 per ft plus paint cost, they said it will take 1 1/2 gallons. 
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Ekutney

It seems like quite a coincidence but any chance your broker's name is Denise?   Small world if so... because she was the broker for the 1986 C34 I bought in Jan 2016.  She did a fine job representing the PO and Annapolis Yacht Sales made the whole process very easy.  She also recommended the Surveyor but I had already been given his name by an old friend that used him a couple times and was very pleased with the detailed report he provided, I would agree based on my experience as well.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Breakin Away

Yes, it is Denise.

I had a very nice conversation with Robert Noyce today. I'd love to hire him, but he's booked up for several weeks, and we're trying to move things ahead faster than that. He gave me some other referrals that were very helpful.

In case I forgot to mention on this board, my offer was accepted today and I'm pulling together insurance quote, possible financing, etc...

Ekutney

Congrats on the boat.

The Marina I am currently using was referred by Robert, it seems he is very well known in the Annapolis area.

I can say this site has been very very helpful in both doing research and also getting a variety of opinions about items specific to the C34.  Catalina Direct has also been very helpful because they carry a large number of parts at reasonable prices.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke