Hot water heater/ fresh water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancrosswis

And, I didn't bother to level it. The pump just fits under the original shelf. I moved my AC pump there, looking for a better location to keep its prime.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ekutney on June 03, 2016, 10:15:45 PM
Did you place the 1/4 " board directly on the hull?  Doesn't the WH sit on an angle?  What did you use to attach the board to the hull?

Good idea of ripping a 2X4 that would give me more contact area the length of the rail.  I plan to use thicken epoxy to attach the rails to the hull, thoughts?

Ed,

I don't think 2x4 is necessary, just 2x2 ripped down on the angle so it sits flat.  1-1/2 wide is enough for a screw bite.

WH location and poly board was a different boat model, different location,  but concept was the same.

OEM WH was located on a wooden board that rotted a little, so I yanked that out.  I set wooden (treated) cleats in place, bolted the WH to the Poly cutting board (trimmed to size,) and screwed the whole shebang to the cleats.  I had to do that because the angle clip on one side of the WH (to fasten it down) was inaccessible with the WH in place (the WH was jammed against a wall with about 1" space so couldn't get to any fasteners to screw it down.)  So I bolted the WH clips to the poly board, then screwed the board/WH down, locating countersunk flat head screws where they were accessible so I could install/remove the unit.  I use cheap poly cutting boards occasionally -- a lot cheaper than Starboard (but not UV stabilized so i keep them in cupboards, lockers, etc.)  It's stable (doesn't warp like 1/2" treated plywood can.)  But unfortunately not epoxyable, so they need to be screwed or bolted in place.  They make good battery shelves (acid won't hurt them.)

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ekutney

I started another post exploring the posubility of relocating the WH.  Thought another member was talking about under the aft berth but it turns out the PO located behind the aft bulkhead.  Check it out and add your two cents. 
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke