Noah,

The following picture helped me understand why it works:
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Ed Shankle

Facinating. So simple.
I assume, however, it doesn't do anything to resolve the cycling of the electric pump issue, due to the flow back into the bilge when the pump turns off.
Ed, do you only have 1 through hull like Stu or do you have 2? If 2, how did you close off the unused one?

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ekutney

I have a single thru hull, both the manual & electric bilge pumps use this single output.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Ekutney

The configuration I have still has the potential of back flow of water to the bilge when the pump turns off.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

Jon W

What are your plans for under the V-berth? I've only poked my head in there but don't see a way for the water to get out of there if there is a leak. I will be crawling around looking closer this weekend.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Interesting. However, this set-up procludes running both pumps at the same time in an emergency, correct?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jeff Tancock

I  wonder about that as well.
Mine came as two independent systems and I assumed that was better in case of emergency.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on May 25, 2016, 09:43:21 PM
Llet me see I have this correct. Stu tees the electric pump discharge into. The Whale manual pump's DISCHARGE hose,

Nope, see my earlier post, and Ed's description.

Quote from: Noah on May 26, 2016, 07:23:35 AM
Interesting. However, this set-up procludes running both pumps at the same time in an emergency, correct?

Jeff and Noah,

Depends on how you define "emergency."  Really.  Neither of those pumps are powerful enough to move any significant amount of water.  They are good for dealing with small leaks and cleaning up the bilge from leaking stuffing boxes or rain water down the mast.  That's it.

Only a much more powerful pump than either one of those would deal with a major issue, like a broken thru hull.

Most of us, nay I doubt any of us, has one of those high GPM pumps.  Most of the pumps we have are rated in GPH.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

Where did you find the 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" fitting?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Jon W

Answered my own question, one is available online at Hamilton Marine for $4.99 and West Marine for $6.29. Ain't the internet amazing?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca