Leaky dripless

Previous topic - Next topic

SPembleton

I was getting ready to take my boat out this afternoon, cast off the lines and realized that i did not have reverse. I did have forward.  I opened up the engine compartment to check the linkage and noticed that i had water spraying out of my dripless.  I tightened the clamps and it seemed to stop the spray. If i wiggle the bellows, it starts to spray again.  If i stop the wiggle, it stops.  I read as many posts as i can find on the dripless, but cant find the answer.  The water is coming out in front of the stainless steel collar that has the hose attached to it.  Didnt get a chance to take a picture, but will tomorrow.

Do i need to replace my dripless? Is there something i can fix? Will i get reverse back once it is fixed, or are these two seperate unrelated problems.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

SPembleton

Just a followup, in case anyone else, other than me, is unfamiliar with dripless seals.  There are three parts, the stainless collar which is attached to the shaft, the carbon just aft of the collar and the bellows.  The carbon is slightly larger in diameter from the shaft, and has a water line going to it. It stays stationary as it is attached with hose clamps to the stationary bellows. This allows a small layer of water to seperate the carbon from the shaft. Theoretically the carbon does not touch the shaft, but rides on a layer of water.  The carbon rides against the stainless collar and forms a very smooth surface so that water does not leak between the carbon and the stainless collar.  The final part, the bellows provides a positive pressure pushing the carbon against the stainless and also collecting the water in the carbon providing the seperation from the shaft and forcing it out the stern tube.

When i lifted the carbon, it broke the seal between the carbon and the collar, and so water sprayed out.  That is how it works.

When i lost reverse, it was because the shaft came out of the coupling, putting the dripless on a funny angle, and therefore it leaked.

The shaft is now lined up with the coupling, but not all the way in. So the dripless is sealed. I am waiting for a mechanic to put the shaft back in the coupling correctly.  I  could probably do it myself, but lack confidence since if i do it wrong, i could sink my boat!!

Went to the beach today. Beautiful day. Watched all of the sailboats going out the channel. Major Bummer! Hope you all had a great Memorial Day and remembered the men and women who sacrificed for all of us.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

Ken Krawford

Steve, the stainless collar has 2 sets of sets screws that engage the shaft and keep the collar and the ceramic disc from moving.  There are 4 set screws in total - 2 pair stacked on top of each other.  The stainless collar has probably moved forward on the shaft and there isn't enough compression on the bellows to maintain a proper seal.  Remove the top most set screw and then compress the bellows.  Here's a link to the amount of compression you need and a good video. http://www.pyiinc.com/articles/installing-a-pss-shaft-seal-step-2-installing-pss-seal
Then re-install the set screws.  PSS recommends changing the bellows every 6 years so if you're being hauled, it might be a good time to do the whole thing.  They also don't recommend re-using the set screws.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

SPembleton

Thanks.  Sorry if I was not clear.  The drippless is working fine, it is the prop shaft that has come out of the coupler to the trans.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall