cost for replacing deadheads (aft plexiglass)

Previous topic - Next topic

Indian Falls

I'm not certain but I believe the dead lights are the same material the tinted salon slide panels are made of, and those are acrylic (plexi).  Polycarbonate (lexan) is less brittle but does not cut nicely with a laser unless you have 3x the power I have. 

Quote from: KWKloeber on May 30, 2016, 07:10:12 AM
Dan, what about the bevel?

k
What is beveled?  I don't see beveling on my lights.  If these are taken to a belt sander after being routed then same would need to occur after laser cutting.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Noah

Go back to page 1 of this post to see factory diagram showing bevel. Also I do not beleive a belt sander is used. Probably a router as part of the original trim/cutting to size...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ekutney

Dan,

I am also interested if you have plans to cut extra and provide them for sale. Keep this link posted if you plan to offer them.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Jon W

Looking at the title of the diagram I posted (oops) the fixed portlights are acrylic.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Indian Falls

Maybe Andrew Harvey could clarify his source put the proper bevel around the edge? And the method?
I can laser cut a bevel in plastic, but that makes it a 3d part which is a whole other ballgame.
It would be more practical after straight laser cutting to use a router with a bevel cutter that has a bearing for riding on the edge... one slip and the panel is no good though. Might need a practice piece or 2.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?