cost for replacing deadheads (aft plexiglass)

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Spicer

Call & make sure they have what you want & can do it while you wait.
   3203 South Ave, Toledo,
   419-389-1688
   If you give them rough sizes they can give you a price. It will be a lot more than my 16" square  center hatch.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Phil Spicer

I think they use 795 seal. Ask if they have it and the price.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

anaisdog

thanks!  talked to him, sent him the pictures - he's going to see if it's something he can do!
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Andrew Harvey

I just replaced mine.
Removed all 4 , removed old sealant, prepped the open frame and covered with shrink wrap and tape.
I took the windows to a local plastics guy.He was able to replicate the the old ones. Well almost , bit of a long story.
However they are in in a dark tint looks good.
Make sure to put some black paint on the little strip between head and aft cabin bulkheads

Andrew Harvey

anaisdog

did you use 795?  how long did it take to put them in?
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Fred Koehlmann

Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Indian Falls

I need to do mine soon as well.  Since the mould for the cabin top made X number of boats all the same, then shouldn't a patterned set of windows fit all those boats?  I have a laser shop and plan to cut my windows from acrylic plastic.  I wonder if I should make several sets?  I have a 1990 hull 997.  What say you? I know I could beat the daylights out the price anywhere else.   It takes an hour to prepare cutting with one of these, no charge.  Cost of plastic plus laser time at $1.25/min.  If it takes 10 min to cut four ports its a lot.
Another benefit: The laser leaves a stress free fire polished edge.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Is the window material a special type to stand up to a wave/marine environment? (like safety glass in a car).

If you have the proper material and are open to making extra's for sale I'm interested. I thought the same about the pattern. I can make and send patterns from my 1987 hull 493 to check compared to yours, let me know if you want me to do that.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Jeff Tancock

I need to do mine as well so am interested in this possibility. I've been stalling for a couple of years now. Put me on the list.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Brad Young

http://www.eplastics.com/

Are you in San Diego? I used these guys. I took the old one out, then took it to  Eplastics. It was broken in two pieces. They made an exact replica, took them around 4 hours. It cost around 100.00
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Noah

John, I would also check Ridout Plastics (right up the street from your's and my offices) on Ruffin Rd. in San Diego. That is who I was going to use when "the time came". I have used them for 30 years for both marine work and commerical bulidings.t
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Still wondering are they acrylic, Plexiglas, ?....
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Jon- the scoop as I understand it.   Plexiglass with two "s" is a generic category/term. Plexiglas with one "s"  is a trademark for a brand of acrylic. I also just learned Brad Young's recommended company, Eplastics, is a subsidiary of my oldtime favorite SD plastics vendor, Ridout Plastics.   
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on May 30, 2016, 04:45:54 PM
Still wondering are they acrylic, Plexiglas, ?....

Jon,

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=File:Window_replacement_1.jpg

plexi/acrylic.  Some suggest replacing w/lexan, but I think that's not recommended -- dunno, maybe too brittle? (and EXPENSIVE.)

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain