Rigid Vang / Soft Vang

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

I just finished installing the Gauhauer rigid boom vang. My next project is to install a Spartite kit.
I am tempted to remove the riveted pad eye that I guess it there for a soft vang? I do have my main sheet block coming off the mast collar starboard.
My question is - Why would you have a soft vang once you have a rigid as I have seen in pictures? Is it just a place to attach a boom preventer when not in use?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Ron Hill

Paul : I used that pad to attach a double block that had the main sheet line and the ridged vang line going back to the cockpit. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Fred Koehlmann

Hi Paul,

If you are referring to the loops that are under the boom, they are for the mainsheet.  Assuming you have the same setup as us.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Ron Hill

Guys : I believe that Paul is talking about the pad eye that's in the sail track on the mast near the mast boot.
Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

Paul,
I just left the pad eye unused after putting in my rigid vang. Stored the soft one in the port locker. How long have you been in the water? Per the rigger at Hawthorne, let the boat resume it's shape in the water for 2 weeks before installing Spartite.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA