Asym/Cruising spinnakers

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Yes, after all these years, I finally have an asym/ cruising spinnaker. In reality, it is more of a reaching cut. My question is.... Is it possible/practical to use the asym while the jib is out on a reach? The set up would almost look like a cutter rig. I also have a symmetrical for those long, off shore, downwind legs......
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Noah

Don't believe so, unless you have an inner staysail tack for jib or bow sprit for Asym. Also, do you have a spinn pole topping lift track mounted on the mast and foreguy (pole downhaul) on mounted on deck or baseof mast to fly your traditional spinn?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Lance Jones

I have that for the symmetrical.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Braxton

Do you have an extendable sprit for you spinnaker?   If so it might work, if not I think you would just end up blanketing the spinnaker with the jib.   There are a ton of variables to work out.   I stumbled across this article here and they touch on most of my points and explain them far better then I would have:

http://www.destinationonedesign.com/prep/index.aspx?subsection=608afb0f7a0443d6bb5b82f976be7098

I think in general you'll run into issues with both the heads and foots of the sails being to close together for it to be practical.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Lance Jones

Thanks Braxton. It is probably too much trouble with my limited crew.  :shock:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Braxton

It could be fun though :-)
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Lance Jones