PSS vent hose issue

Previous topic - Next topic

bayates

So I have a weird issue on the Hakuna Matata. I got all the HX and Riser re-installed but during testing noticed the the vent loop for the PSS Dripless push water into the engine compartment when in reverse and over 1900 RPM. It does nor do it in forward at and speed. So I raised it thinking it may be to low to no avail. I checked the similar install on another C34 MKII and they have no issue in reverse at any RPM.

Looking for ideas or suggestions.

Brian
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

Ralph Masters

When in reverse the prop wash is being pushed up into the cavity for the shaft log and it will push water out of that vent tube when backing down real hard.  I believe Newton explained it well a number of years ago, when I was a seaman recruit, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Cat 34 MkI
1987 367
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Mark Sutherland

I had the same issue, water spitting into places I absolutely don't want salt water.  I rerouted the pss vent hose aft to a breather fitting mounted high on my starboard transom.  Now any water spitting out of vent hose dribbles down the transom. 
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

bayates

I added the 400 Hyvee vent and no more issue. Bilge is bone dry.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA