Crack in Keel

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

Hi everyone - I have noticed a small crack on the forward edge of my keel (photo attached - this is an extreme close up - standing 15' from the boat I hardly noticed it).  It is only on the port side.  I have a Cat 34 Mk II and i have never grounded (not sure if the previous owner did).  I have been reading the forum and found references to the "smile".  Not sure if this is the same thing.  I have never seen this crack in past years.  This winter was the first winter I was on jack-stands and not my cradle (long story) but i've heard cracks can appear in the front if improperly blocked.  I am not close to the boat at the moment so cant check tightness of keel bolts.

Thoughts based on your collective wisdom and extensive experience will be most welcome...thanks in advance.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

What you're looking at there, "appears" to be fairing that is loose / peeling / breaking off (separated from) the substrate (keel and keel buss -- or stub -- of the hull.)    It may or may not be caused by a CTY "smile" underneath -- which is separation of the actual keel/buss joint, or the joint degrading/disintegrating because CTY bedded the keel with polyester resin in the joint -- which attracts water and attacks the polyester (i.e., is hydrophilic).  Same cause as blisters that develop under the gelcoat pf a hull.

The first step would be to get that junk off and see exactly what's going on underneath it at the joint faces of the keel and stub.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Geoffreykwright

Thanks.  I will do as you suggest...given its only on the port-side (starboard is completely seamless) is it possible its only cosmetic (i.e. grind off and replace sealant)?  I would think if the keel were starting to separate then cracking would be visible on both sides of the keel?
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Geoffreykwright on April 29, 2016, 06:57:27 AM
Thanks.  I will do as you suggest...given its only on the port-side (starboard is completely seamless) is it possible its only cosmetic (i.e. grind off and replace sealant)?  I would think if the keel were starting to separate then cracking would be visible on both sides of the keel?

Yah nevah know until you know.  .

My C-30 smile was about 12" on stbd side -- not at the leading edge -- but in the forward 1/3rd.  When I got into it, the joint was 1/2 deteriorated and so off came the fin keel to repair / rebed / refair it.  What probably happens, is if one side or the other is first to get attacked -- that's where continuing attack occurs.  At least that sounds reasonable.  LOL

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Paulus

Geoffrey, you are right, if the boat is not properly blocked, it will lead to cracks. Saw this happen to a friend's boat.  They also get a lot of wind in that area.
Paul
PS:  Ken, what is the name and location of your shop?
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on April 29, 2016, 10:27:30 AM
Geoffrey, you are right, if the boat is not properly blocked, it will lead to cracks. Saw this happen to a friend's boat.  They also get a lot of wind in that area.
Paul
PS:  Ken, what is the name and location of your shop?

Paul

"shop"?  I'm a nomad.  LOL
One never knows whether I am in NC or NY ---- or somewhere in between.   It's like virtual reality. 
But my email and txt are always on my belt.

ken