Need Input on Barrier Coat

Previous topic - Next topic

Footloose

Has anyone that has done the rudder modification added to the forward edge to keep the rudder balanced?  If so, how much did you add?  I am contemplating doing this to keep the steering for needing too much force, but if too much is added it will make it difficult to control.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Footloose on November 03, 2016, 05:36:26 PM
Has anyone that has done the rudder modification added to the forward edge to keep the rudder balanced?  If so, how much did you add?  I am contemplating doing this to keep the steering for needing too much force, but if too much is added it will make it difficult to control.

Dave,

Try this:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-rudder-modification.htm

Also go to the May 1999 TNOs for the original article that Ron wrote.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Footloose

Thanks Stu.  I have read those write ups and they are very helpful.  What I am considering, is adding an inch or so to the leading edge to balance the steering.  By putting some surface area in front of the post it will decrease the force needed to steer with the added surface behind the post.  I fly radio control planes and this is often done with large control surfaces.  I may just be overthinking the whole thing. :donno:
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain