Scupper hoses

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekutney

I recently visited the inside of my aft lazarett, lots of wasted space since there is no aft water tank on my boat.   My previous visit was to replace my exhaust hose.

I noticed the scupper hoses have surface cracks so they need to be replaced.  It seems everything on my boat is 30 years old, the PO kept the boat very clean and did a good job on regular maintenance but had a philosophy of if it ain't broke don't fix it.  I now am going through every single inch of the boat. a highly suggested process for any "new to them" boat owner.

The scupper hoses are routed straight to the thru hulls on each side.  I have seen them crossed on other boats to prevent water coming into the cockpit when heeled hard.  I have not had the chance to do any sailing yet but thought someone on this forum can give me their opinion.  I plan to change the hoses anyway so this would be a good time to change the configuration.  A little longer hose would be needed but I am not trying to pinch pennies if it makes my boating experience better.  Thoughts...
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Stu Jackson

I have often thought of doing just that, Ed.  I only get water on the cockpit sole on port tack, though.  Steve Dolling sailed from Vancouver BC to Mexico in some heavy seas off the California coast and I remember him replacing the hoses, but don't recall him crossing them.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Ed,

Scupper hoses and checking them is near and dear to my heart.  I ended up with a $500 bill many yrs ago because one of mine burst over the winter/spring while on the hard for 2 years.  My fault for not checking and replacing them (still young and dumb at that time), and I could elaborate on the perfect storm that happened, but won't hijack this thread.

I wouldn't cross them - they work fine --  questions to think about (even tho you haven't sailed her yet)
With the location/arrangement -- will the angle flood the cockpit while heeled? Doesn't seem to be a huge issue.
If you cross them -- will you drain the lea scupper if you take on water while heeled?  Could be a huge issue.

cheers,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Roc

Here's how my scupper hoses are routed (MkII).  Both cockpit scupper hoses are 'tee'd' and led to the port scupper.  The SB scupper is connected to the vent line for the propane cabinet.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

waterdog

I replaced the scupper hoses.   I think I have seen about every sea condition and never had water come up through the scuppers.   I do recall one dark night off Oregon with a large following sea and thinking, "What the hell was I thinking going with the cheap hose on the scuppers?   This is not an above the waterline application."   And that's how I got to find a really great marine store in Oregon with quality hose...

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Dave Spencer

Hi Roc,
I didn't think any C34s with walk-through transoms had scuppers (what for?)    I don't have them.  How are they set up on your MkII and why are they necessary with the open transom?    :donno:  My propane vent line is very small and would certainly be unsuitable as a scupper line.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Roc

Dave
That's how my boat came OEM from Catalina.  The vent line and scupper hoses are the same diameter.  My guess is when heeling, the scuppers in the corners of the sole would let water run out, since when heeling, the water would be trapped in that area. 

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI didn't think any C34s with walk-through transoms had scuppers (what for?)    I don't have them.  How are they set up on your MkII and why are they necessary with the open transom?

My 2001 MKll does have scuppers outboard aft of the wheel.  I have had water come up through the scuppers a few times.  Looked like a small fountain.  I was heeled over quiet a bit and sailing fast.  The water, stern wave, was above some of the swim step and the scupper drain was well under water.  The water would surge up the scupper then drain out the back and down the scupper.  Think it's only happened on a port tack.  If it happened often I would think about doing away with the scuppers. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Dave Spencer

Thanks Roc and Jim,
Interesting.  I have a Mk1.5 with the open transom but the hull above the waterline is shaped more like the Mk1 boats rather than the broader stern on the MkIIs.  The most outboard portion of the sole aft of the wheel is beveled on my boat so there is a flat spot to stand when heeled and water will run toward the centerline and out the open transom.  I have no scuppers on my boat and I haven't seen water trapped in the cockpit although I imagine there is a small area where some water could accumulate. 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Roc

The MKII sole is also beveled, where it becomes level when heeling, just like your boat.

Ron Hill

Guys : The only hulls that have scupper hoses are the MKI boat with a standard transom.

As I recall the factory installed scupper hose is 1 1/2" ID wire reinforced hose and at least in the boats with an aft water tank the hose does take a bend.  I remember recommending that owners to do as I did and add some antifreeze when the boat is in winter storage.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

tonywright

My MK II has two scupper hoses. There is a raised section of cockpit floor either side of the wheel. When heeled each is a low spot that could gather water, so there is a small drain in the floor. A drain hose leads aft from each of them to a thru-hull low in the transom. Spiders gather there, and need to be periodically flushed out.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada