What make/model replacement refrigeration unit for 1987 C34

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Gendreau

My Seafrost energy usage per day is about 48 amp hours, average draw is 2 amps. We do not have a wind generator or a solar panel, so we have to run the engine an hour a day or so to recharge, if we are not moving that day.  At home port, we are on a mooring so the unit is normally not run when the boat is unused.

I also find I get better temperature distribution in the ice box if I use a battery operated fan to circulate air within the box.    Otherwise there is significant temperature difference from bottom to top, particularly if the box is heavily loaded with a week's worth of food.

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

KWKloeber

Quote from: Roland Gendreau on April 27, 2016, 07:54:37 AM
I also find I get better temperature distribution in the ice box if I use a battery operated fan to circulate air within the box.    Otherwise there is significant temperature difference from bottom to top, particularly if the box is heavily loaded with a week's worth of food.

A brethren found the same issue and installed a 12v "pancake" cooling fan to avoid needing to do the batteries -- They are available all over the iNet, (I also think radio shack.)  Power draw is nil - about 1/4 amp - not sure but he may have put it on a cheap thermostat or timer.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Roland Gendreau

The Camco fan I purchased on Amazon uses 2 D batteries and they will last at least a week under continuous duty. Since our primary use of the refrig is for week long cruises, a battery operated unit suits us ok.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44123-Fridge-Airator/dp/B0006IX7TW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461946543&sr=8-2&keywords=refrigerator+fan
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

KWKloeber

Quote from: Roland Gendreau on April 29, 2016, 09:19:04 AM
The Camco fan I purchased on Amazon uses 2 D batteries and they will last at least a week under continuous duty. Since our primary use of the refrig is for week long cruises, a battery operated unit suits us ok.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44123-Fridge-Airator/dp/B0006IX7TW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461946543&sr=8-2&keywords=refrigerator+fan

Thanks for the link!   Good to know - as that's how I would use it also.    :clap

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain